Air Driven Sponge Filteration

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi,
i was wondering why Air Driven Sponge Filters are so popular with discus breeders? Other then the fact it doesn't suck up teh frys... i know it doesn't provide much mechanical filteration.... But is the chemical/baterial filteration very good.?
I'm setting up a small fish room... 4 tanks and was wondering wat would be the best method of filterating the tanks all individually. Air seems to be the best since its cheap and provides all teh needs for discus.. I'm not too worried about mechanical since i will be doing water changes every 2-3 days.
BTW i just bought a bio-max sponge, very cheap and looks suitabel for my fish room.

Any thoughts?comments? or suggestions?
BTW anyone heard of "turbo breeding twin sponge filters" I found it in a online aquatic catalogue... tho they are no pics and just wondering if anyone has seen one b4

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sponge is great as you mentioned for breeders and fish stores because like you said, it doesn't suck up the fries like a HOB or canister.  It is also way much cheaper to use a sponge (only a few bucks).  You can run mutiple tanks with just one strong air pump and you are set.  
It's easy to clean and also great for biological filtration.
Just can't beat the easiness and cheapness of a sponge filter.

Dinocine

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Obviously it is simple to clean a sponge filter, but what is the most appropriate way to clean it without destroying the bacteria? Flush it under running water doesn't really clean up the sponge properly as some debris hold fast, and I don't subscribe to what some people do, smashing in against a wall!