aggressive rts?

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
i know rts are semi aggressive fish and i have had them in the past with tankmates of all sorts of barbs. i have 4 gold barbs about 3 in already and the rts is constantly nipping and chasing them. i come to find out that gold barbs are the peaceful fish of the barb family but i really like having the black rts.if i get a few of green tiger barbs or other more active barbs do you think that will help the gold barbs by having the rts not chasing them as much since there are other more aggressive barbs in the tank...i dont know if i am making sense but hopefully someone understands my question.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
how bigs your tank? if your RTS is terrorizing your school of fish I would say that there are not enough hiding places, or not enough room in the tank. I had my RTS in my 20G for a while and when it's feeding time he gives my tiger barbs hell since he's the last to get food, and he chases them violently too. I put the RTS in my 60G after that, he's pretty lonely but I think he needs it... that reminds me I really need to stock my new tank, haven't had time to buy a fish in months lol

Oh, so yes I would recommend lots of caves/hiding places for your RTS so he has a place to call home and the barbs have elsewhere to go. I also don't recommend anything less than a 30G for your RTS, but I'm really not kidding when they get older they are NASTY. People complain a lot about how bad they can be in a small tank when they hit the 5-6'' mark and are beating up all your fish. <-- bigger tank, hiding places solves this to an extent. This however is not always the case, its just the logic.

Last edited:

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
the tank is 30gl and there are plenty of hiding places from caves and plants..i may give it the weekend and see how it goes then sunday if its still the same take the rts back and get gt barbs instead...only problem is catching the rts...that wont be easy

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
the tank is 30gl and there are plenty of hiding places from caves and plants..i may give it the weekend and see how it goes then sunday if its still the same take the rts back and get gt barbs instead...only problem is catching the rts...that wont be easy
you can also try re-arranging the decor in the tank, it will take the home court advantage away from the RTS, and the unfamiliar ground may help him calm down

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
actually it seems to have gotten better...the rts is as bad as he was given a few days he seems to have calmed down..i am going to add cherry barbs today maybe with more fish in the tank the rts wont be as aggressive

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
its going to be fiesty during feeding time, and will probably chase them to death if they come within range of his cave/hiding spot. When my RTS was with my barbs it give my tigers hell during feeding time, and theyre 2 inch tiger barbs vs the 3.5 inch redtail; basically saying the barbs werent small

other than that youll be okay, just dont freak out when you see all the activity going on

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
things are actually good now...i had a theory bout adding a school of fish to help calm the rts down and for now it seems to work. i have the rts that roams all over the bottom in all its caves while 4 gold barbsswim just bout everywhere and 12 black neon tetras that mostly stay at the top...i knew the neons would be ok with the tetras cause the gold barbs are peaceful and the rts only chases the other fish if they swim next to it...so all seems to have worked out...