african dwarf frogs dying...

Oct 15, 2010
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...not quite fish...About a week ago, I got 6 african dwarf frogs and put them into my 10 gallon QT tank. (tank is 10, 20, 12 inches) An hour ago, I found the second one belly up on the botton of the tank. The first one was found the same way, in almost the same spot, last Thursday. The tank is heated and filtered. Filter is an aquaclear 5-15 gallons.

They do not look extremely skinny. They do not show any signs of fungus. I dont know what to do! What could I treat them with? What can I do? I do not want to loose all of them to whatever problem that they have. I have been wondering- The light on my tank gets pretty warm. When they go up for air, could they jump out of the water and hit the light, 'shocking' them? The light cover is close to the surface of the water. They are laying under the light when I find them dead. Is there something wrong with the food I feed them (see below).

I am feeding HBH frog and tad. bites, and I am planning to get some frozen (NOT freeze dried) bloodworms very soon. Nothing new has been added- only has the frogs, filter, heater, silk plants, and some terra cotta pots. Most of theese things were in the tank at the time of setup (once again- 1 week ago). I do regular weekly 20-30 % water changes- more than that now see below. I am aware that the ammonia level is higher than 0, and I am doing water changes more often to help with that. What can I do/treat them with? If this is not enough info, I can add more and try to get a picture.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you only set up your tank 1 week ago, and you know that you have some ammonia, I'd guess that the tank isn't properly cycled. Do you know what your current readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What is your current water change schedule?

Oct 15, 2010
They are doing better not that I moved them into my 16 gallon tank. This tank is cycled, and I have also been able to get frozen bloodworms. My 30 gallon tank had ick and I needed the 10 gallon as a QT tank for my loaches.

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry to hear. I just lost one ADF this morning. Unknown reasons. I suspect the HGH frog bites might have caused bloat, even though they're not supposed to. Yesterday he wasn't eating, even with the food right in front of him. Or he just got old. I've only had him for 6 months or so. Either I bought an old frog or the food did him in. My other frog is fine and eating... this one is chalked up to fate I guess.