African cichlid tank size

jason

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
We started out with a small 10 gallon community tank, and are ready to move up to something more interesting.  We have been looking at the African Cichlids.  But we were thinking a 29 gallon tank would be the right size for our next tank.  Is that too small?  Someone told me a 55 would be better.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i would try to get the biggest tank possible that you can find in your budget. Ofcourse a bigger tanks means more $$ (equipment, fishes, plants) but in the long run, you'll appreciate it. Bigger tanks are alot more stable than smaller ones. And besides, a bigger tank means you can keep more fishies! =)

i would get the 55 instead of the 29. When i got my 29gallon i thought it was a big tank. but now i wish i got the 55 gallon.

good luck with your decision!

motor

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I agree. The bigger the tank, the more fish you can put in and the more stable the conditions will be. I have a 120 gallon im converting into an african tank and I can't wait to finish it.

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
i dont know if there is  petco were you live but there is by me and you can get this 55 gallon starter kit that comes with the tank a heater top thermomenter net filter and its only like $160 its actually cheaper than there 29 gallon they have also and im not talking cheaper by like 5 dollars its probally a 150 dollars cheaper

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
im going to have to agree with everybody...go with the bigger tank, the largest tank possible...but a 55 is definitley bwetter than a 29 gallon because it has more surface area, which means you can keep more fish which is important with africans...more fish, less aggression...go with the largest tank possible

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Yes, get the bigger tank.  When I kept african cichlids I had a 55 gallon and I really don't think they would be happy in anything smaller. There was no real agression in my tank, but they kept busy chasing each other around.  Plus, if you are thinking of keeping mbuna, they seem to breed pretty easily.  You will need the extra space for all the fry, LOL.  Mine spawned like clock work every 45 days. I only had one female psuedotropheus socolofi, and she produced over 50 fry in less than 5 months.

Jan