African Butterfly Fish

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
I picked up three of these African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi) last week and I'm happy to say they're acclimated well and are eating freeze-dried plankton and frozen beef heart like little pigs!! They make a great surface-dwelling fish for my African 'biotopes'.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Yah...make sure the tank is completely and fully closed. If you do that for any fish, this would be it!

Also, what size tank is this? Or are they in separate tanks? Usually, they will fight with each other or other surface dwelling fish so they are best kept singly.

Try feeding yours frozen whole baby krill. I chop them in half to make them more manageable and my butterfly seems to enjoy getting a really big meal now and then. He can eat almost 8 full krill.

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
I've got the three of them in a 20 Long which gives them plenty of surface area. The two males have each staked out their spots at opposite ends of the tank and the female wanders happily over the entire surface. They will be going into a 100+ gallon tank in the relatively near future along with a number of other African river fish.

Both of the males are hand feeding now.....last night they took small frozen silversides from my fingers and have snapped beef heart from my fingertips as well. I'll give the krill a try...if the Butterfly Fish don't eat it then the Polypterus that roam the bottom of the tank will surely take care of it. They LOVE almost anything shrimp-like.

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
i just put one in my 29 gal planted tank. i read it does well with flakes. but it hasn't eaten yet or i havent seen it eat. i guess i have to try some frozen food. i had it with my arowana but i had to move it, because it was getting bullied.

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
Fish15.....

I actually knew that....though I've personally never tried munching on fruitbats either!! Might be interesting just for a once-in-a-lifetime experience!! I've eaten pretty much everything else that walks, crawls, swims or flys at one time or another!!

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
I have one butterfly fish and absolutely adore it!! Definitely one of my favorite fish in my tank...if not my favorite. If you're looking for something to fill the top level of your aquarium this is your fish!!

Just make sure you avoid small fish in the tank...these guys have big mouths for their size!!!

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
ok well I got one and it took to my tank pretty well. He actually swims to the bottom sometimes and doesn't even attempt to go after my tetras. My friend wants to get one and was wondering if it will get along with Malawi cichlids.