A few questions...

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
Ok, my new tank is set up. It's 33 gallons, and I have four fish, 3 red and white orandas (although the store is selling them as lionheads), and a black moor. I was told that's pretty much the max I should put in a tank this size. Although, I was hoping to add a pleco at some point.

Question one. I don't want to overwhelm my girlfriend with work with this tank, so should I avoid plants? I go away for long periods with work, and she would have to do the cleaning, and water changes on her own. Are plants a bad idea, if I want to keep this tank as low maintenance as possible?

Two, how big can I expect these fish to get in a tank like this? I'm hoping for them to reach a good size.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
1. you can avoid plants if you want. there is little danger in NOT using them.

2. in a 33 the fish should remain fairly small, reason being you have 4(each will probably grow to about 3-4")...

Also I'm curious, who exactly suggested 4 goldfish for a 33 gal tank?

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
1. you can avoid plants if you want. there is little danger in NOT using them.

2. in a 33 the fish should remain fairly small, reason being you have 4(each will probably grow to about 3-4")...

Also I'm curious, who exactly suggested 4 goldfish for a 33 gal tank?
The guy at the store said a 33 would sustain that amount of fish fine. Obviously I'm going to have to upgrade the tank, which is fine. Will they be ok for a few months?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes they certainly should be fine for a little while.
The thing is you should just about never listen to store associates (unless you know the store associate is an actual goldfish breeder) because 97% of the time they just want to make the sale, and if your fish die, guess where you're gonna buy more fish?

Anyway a few questions for you:
1. how big are your fish now?
2. how many filters are you running on the tank and what kind?
3. did you properly cycle the tank before putting any fish in there?
4. do you know how to properly cycle an aquarium lol?

Also I would add a sponge filter/powerhead into the tank and connect an air pump to it to supply extra oxygen as oxygen will be an issue for such an overcrowded goldfish tank (may not seem like it now while they're small but it is, trust me)

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
The fish are about 2 inches each. The moor is a bit smaller, about a inch and a half.
I'm running one 70 gallon back mounted fountain filter.
When I put the tank together, I filled it, added the rocks etc, and let it run with the filter for a week, then added the fish. And I'm not sure if that was correct, haha.

The fish do seem to be fine, swimming lots, and eating well when I feed them.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the fish are small enough to last in there for a few months until you upgrade.

However you will mostly likely fail if you do not cycle your upgrade tank just like you didn't cycle this one =/
For right now it's best that you read up on the nitrogen cycle and cycling a new freshwater aquarium.
I am not trying to flame you or command you to do something lol!
All I am trying to do here is to help you get into the goldfish-keeping hobby smoothly ;)

As you will find out from researching the cycle, letting the tank run for any amount of time (be it a year or 1 day) without a source of ammonia will not even start the vital bacteria cycle in your tank.

your first step should be research of correctly setting up a FW tank.

your 2st step right now should be to go buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. this liquid test kit has everything you need to keep track of your water.

Your filter is perfect for this tank. it is a HOB style correct? (hand on back, water-fall-creating filter) What brand is it though? and what types of media are you running in it right now?

The fish can be very deceiving. One day that can be all "^__^" and the next morning they can go all "X_x" on you...

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
the fish are small enough to last in there for a few months until you upgrade.

However you will mostly likely fail if you do not cycle your upgrade tank just like you didn't cycle this one =/
For right now it's best that you read up on the nitrogen cycle and cycling a new freshwater aquarium.
I am not trying to flame you or command you to do something lol!
All I am trying to do here is to help you get into the goldfish-keeping hobby smoothly ;)

As you will find out from researching the cycle, letting the tank run for any amount of time (be it a year or 1 day) without a source of ammonia will not even start the vital bacteria cycle in your tank.

your first step should be research of correctly setting up a FW tank.

your 2st step right now should be to go buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. this liquid test kit has everything you need to keep track of your water.

Your filter is perfect for this tank. it is a HOB style correct? (hand on back, water-fall-creating filter) What brand is it though? and what types of media are you running in it right now?

The fish can be very deceiving. One day that can be all "^__^" and the next morning they can go all "X_x" on you...
Cool, I'll go pick up the test kit tomorrow. I'm going to pick up a bubble maker too. I'll likely replace the tank after I do my taxes, so sometime in the next month. I'll go for at least 60 gallons, but hopefully I can find a good deal on something bigger.

The only thing I hate about this whole hobby is how freaking pricey the stands are. I'm starting to think it'd be cheaper to build my own, when I get the bigger tank. The tank itself really doesn't seem to be the expensive part.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
check out craigslist or ebay. good deals abound on these sites ;)

For the bubble make I suggest just using an air pump, some air line, a powerhead sponge filter (the kinda that's a powerhead and has a sponge over the intake, and has an air line input on it)

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
One thing I did forget, is I did add that prime conditioner before adding the fish. It says it removes amonia, and detoxifies nitrite, and nitrate. Not sure if that was enough, but I'm going to find out. I bought ammonia, and nitrite test kit.

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
Ok, so I did the test. The nitrite levels are fine, around 0.25 ppm (the water stayed light blue). But, the ammonia test wasn't as great. The ammonia is about 1 ppm, so I guess I'm going to have to do more water changes weekly.

Good thing is I've located a few new tanks, pretty good price, all over 70 gallons. So I should have something new set up within the month.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok, just as a guide here is what you should do:

you should test for ammonia and nitrite every 3 days and if you see ammonia up to 1ppm and/or nitrite up to .5 ppm then do a 50% water change.

.25 ppm nitrite is not "fine" just so you know, fine readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 20ppm nitrate.

now if you follow that simple step above of testing and doing changes accordingly, I imagine your tank will eventually cycle correctly. (this is what's called a fish-in cycle)

Are you sure the water stayed a light blue? because that would indicate 0 nitrite. .25 is a little purple tint to it if I'm not mistaken.

Great news on the upgrade tank :)

Prime should be used only to treat tap water to make it safe (and in extreme cases if your tank ever gets up to 3ppm ammonia/nitrite or something crazy like that, then you add it directly to your tank.) you can also add prime to your tank, but while your are cycling that is not advised as that ill just prolong your cycling period.

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
Ya, the nitrate test did stay light blue, no purple tinge to it at all. I did a 30% change last night, but since the test for the ammonia was so high today, I'll likely do another 30% either tonight, or tomorrow after I pick up the new tank. I won't be able to cycle the new tank until likely at least Tuesday. That will depend on if I have to get a new stand. Also, because after I buy the new tank tomorrow, I'll be broke, lol.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ouch, then maybe you should just stick with your current setup and water changes until you get some money together to afford the entire upgrade.

It's not like the new big tank is going to be any different with the ammonia ... all new tanks need to cycle lol.

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
ouch, then maybe you should just stick with your current setup and water changes until you get some money together to afford the entire upgrade.

It's not like the new big tank is going to be any different with the ammonia ... all new tanks need to cycle lol.
Would it be beneficial to add one fish, and a bunch of the water from the old tank, to the new tank when I start the cycle? I get paid Monday, so I plan on starting the cycle either Monday, or Tuesday.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
read up on fish-less cycling. you will need to go buy a bottle of pure ammonia at a hardware store. pure ammonia eliminates the need to subject your fish to lethal water ;)

old water from the tank will do nothing.
you could use gravel BUT since your old tank isn't cycled the gravel nor anything your transfer would help the new tank. you simple do not have enough beneficial bacteria in your old tank yet to make the difference.

Please research :). research is your best friend when getting into fish-keeping.

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
read up on fish-less cycling. you will need to go buy a bottle of pure ammonia at a hardware store. pure ammonia eliminates the need to subject your fish to lethal water ;)

old water from the tank will do nothing.
you could use gravel BUT since your old tank isn't cycled the gravel nor anything your transfer would help the new tank. you simple do not have enough beneficial bacteria in your old tank yet to make the difference.

Please research :). research is your best friend when getting into fish-keeping.
Cool, thanks for all the help. :)

Feb 27, 2009
Prime should be used only to treat tap water to make it safe (and in extreme cases if your tank ever gets up to 3ppm ammonia/nitrite or something crazy like that, then you add it directly to your tank.) you can also add prime to your tank, but while your are cycling that is not advised as that ill just prolong your cycling period.
I disagree that Prime will prolong a cycling period. It will detoxify the ammonia (turning it to ammonium) which can still be used by plants or the beneficial bacteria.

Chubs - Keep in mind that most test kits for ammonia (check yours)measure 'total ammonia' or NH3 & NH4. Prime turns the NH3 (toxic form) into NH4 (relatively harmless), so even if the test SHOW ammonia, it may be in a safe form.

Keep an eye on all three (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) to make sure your tank is cycling. Ditto what Newman says about nitrite though. If you do get a purple reading (API testkit?) its not safe. You only want blue for nitrite.

Great find on the upgraded tank. I'm sure the fish will be happy in their new home when its ready!