A few questions about Guppies..

Apr 15, 2012
Hello, I'm going to just go right out and say I have no fish experience at all!

I bought two Guppies the other day, a male and female.
Right now they're in a very small starter tank while I'm setting up their 15 Gallon tank.
The starter tank was originally meant for Bettas, and contained a Betta water purifyer and Betta colour enhancing food. Are these safe to use with Guppies?

Once the 15 gallon is set up, I'm planning on adding some more fish, but I'm on a fairly small budget.
What are some inexpensive fish that get along with Guppies?
I'm considering Platy's at the moment.

Also any fish-keeping tips will be appreciated!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! First of all, start reading some of the "Stickies" at the beginning of the different forums on this site. The most important purchase will be a liquid test kit and what you will be concerned with is Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It is called "cycling your tank" to get beneficial bacteria. The API liquid test kit (fresh water) is the one most of us use. It costs between $20 and $35. Shop around on the internet to find the best deal and take into consideration the shipping costs. I have never raised Guppies, but I see no reason why they won't get along with platies, you will just need a lot of hiding places so that some of the fry survive because most fish - even the parents will eat fry. Also, I want to add, platies come in a lot of different variations and colors. I have some blue/gray ones with dark red tails and fins.

Apr 15, 2012
Thank you for the information! I've heard of cycling a fish-tank, but I never knew how it was done, I'll pick up the test kit tomorrow.
Also, I'm planning on letting the mother give birth in the starter tank before moving them into the bigger one so that more survive.

Apr 15, 2012
Alright, I tested the water and moved both guppies moved into the 15 Gallon successfully, and they seem to be doing just fine.
They seem to be getting swept around a bit by the water filter, is there a danger of having too strong of a current in the fish tank, or am I being over-cautious?

Apr 15, 2012
There doesn't seem to be any label or writing on it, so I don't know what it's called. It's very old, from my parents old fish tank.
This is the closest picture I could find, it looks similar except it's all black and a little longer, with a shorter water output thing. http://lllreptile.com/load-image/StoreInventoryImage/image/7518
I don't know if this helps, if not I could take a picture of the one in my tank.

Apr 25, 2012
San dimas,Ca
I would agree with lauraf about the fliter , I myslef have a both guppies and platies

You could try adding a T-valve to the air tubing and adjusting the flow....
I would agree with lauraf about the filter , I myself have a both guppies and platies in a 50gallon tank and my one word of advice is beware of male platy aggression. otherwise they get along fine or in your case you could go with neon tetras or get different color males guppies

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have had no problems with platy aggression. Males will pursue females and be rather persistent at times, but IMO that is just part of their mating ritual. It is important to not over stock and have plenty of hiding places like plants (real and/or fake) and cave like places. Floating plants are helpful, too. Fish will also pursue a PG female when she is about to drop fry - they want the food. Although I have no source, I really think female fish probably give off some "scent" or indication of some kind when they are ready to accept a male. Other creatures do and I feel certain fish have a way also. BTW, for floating fake plants I have used some of the longer "seaweed" looking greens and either anchored them in the hole next to the filter or taken the base off and replaced it with a cork.