A critter with my Hornwort?

Mar 10, 2013
I just bought a hornwort plant for my fish tank yesterday. I took the plant out of the bag to put in another container so I could quarantine it for a while. Before I dumped the bag I noticed some things moving around. I had one or two snails, but there were little stiff critters that almost looked like the hornwort needles.
I'm currently uploading a video of them moving around. So far I can't find any sort of bug that that resembles it from any other forum.

Any ideas?
I will post the video as soon as it finishes loading! Thanks!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
no idea what those are but i have seen them before when i get bait out of the creeks around here. my guess is that they are some kinda scavenger and that if your fish see them odds are they will eat them. i have some kinda worms in my planted tank. i don't worry about that stuff to much myself, but i am a fan of biodiversity in my tanks that will support it. in my 55 my driftwood sticks out of the water and there are little bugs that cover the exposed part of the driftwood. they kinda hop around. when i do a water change they go farther down on the driftwood and when the water is replaced i can see them jumping around on the surface of the water. sometimes my smaller cichlids will come up and eat them if they see them. but with that being said i have heard of no other person having anything like that in their tanks.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i wouldn't quite say that fishdad without knowing what they are lol. for all we know they may eat plants or their roots. odds are they are a neutral critter in the tank. niether harmful or beneficial but it's hard to say. alot of people think snails are bad for a planted tank but it realy depends. i have hundreds in my 20 gallon at least and they tend to eat the dead or dying leaves and leave the live ones alone. they are a great cleanup crew for the things i miss in my daily cleaning. also they eat some of the algae along with my shrimp. i've seen no harm come from them. but i know many others that have and my lfs wants me to make sure my plants are snail free when i bring them in cause they hate snails as well. it's not a hard thing to do but it just goes to show what some might see as beneficial others see as a pest. same went for my salt tank. i loved seeing my bristle worms out feeding. others try to eradicate them from thier tanks.