96 watt "quad" 50/50 coralife strip light

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I'm thinking about getting the "Deluxe Aqualight" for my future ten gallon nano. I've heard the best 50/50 mix is 10000 k versus 6700 or 6500. Is there a major difference between the 10 and 6.7?

Also, I really want to go bare top for the tank. But with this kind of lighting, glass canopies are required. What kinds of other lights would be acceptable with a bare top, if this one really needs the glass top?

Thanks.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the difference is the spectrum...the 10000 is more white/blue, the others are more yellow

you don't need a glass canopy for those, they sell legs for like $7 which solves that problem

Oct 31, 2004
Monterey Park CA
Visit site
I heard they really arnet that nice colored.. more white than blue a really light blue. Also 67k is better for coral growth but it's just yellow and most people dont like the yellow as it looks nasty. If you can find a way to balance blue and yellow and it not being green or if you like the yellow color or green color you may have nice coral growth. HTH *SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
that might not be enough...that sounds like a 50/50 bulb they have in there to me so only half that light is white and half blue...but perhaps you can verify...i suppose if all you want is mushrooms/zoas that might get the job done on a ten though

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Both fixtures are 20", standard ten gallon. If I go with the first one, would it heat up the tank too much in the summer? I don't have air conditioning and was planning on using a small fan to cool the water's surface when it gets hot. I've read this can be done for smaller tanks in place of a chiller.

You guys want to hear something crazy? I'm getting married next Thursday and I keep trying to tell myself to put this project off for another month... but you know, once the bug has bitten, that's about it... :) I'm leaning to the second light now just because it's half the price of the first, and also half the wattage (energy bill). I only plan on keeping some easy stuff so I think I should be able to get by with it.

Are lunar lights really that cool? I've never seen one before. I mean I've seen them, but never in a fish light fixture.

Thanks for everyone's help!