92 Gallon Saltwater Re-build

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
So I used to have the tank setup for freshwater African Cichlids. But recently I decided to move to San Diego and found a new Townhouse next to the beach. So I want to go back to Saltwater, but fish and live rock only. NO CORALS for now....

I had a group of movers crate my 92 Gallon stand and tank, but when the stand arrived, it was broken. Doors on the front were off, and the lip that goes around the front was cracked as well. So I decided to repair it and then refinish it. Progress pics are below. Right now it is sanded, and primed, ready for paint. I'm putting 2-3 coats of a gloss black and 2 coats of a clear gloss to protect and to bring out the shine a little more. Should be done by the weekend.

Here is the equipment I will be using:

92 Gallon Bowfront (Pre-Drilled)
20 Gallon Sump that fits below (Bio Balls, filters, 900GPH return pump, & heater)
Custom built walls I made a few years ago for the left and right straight walls
120lbs of sand (Already in the tank)
Marineland double bright LED lighting system 36-48" (replacing my compact flo.)

IMAG0392.jpg
IMAG0393.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg
IMAG0397.jpg
IMAG0398.jpg

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Never had a use for one in a a couple decades. Is kind of old school stuff. I dont use any kind of mechanical or UV filter on my SW tanks, heck I dont even run filter socks, I let the particles float in the water column to feed the corals and inhabitance on/in the live rock.

Feb 27, 2009
Are you going to use water from the ocean?
I did this for awhile when I lived in Florida, but its hard to get 'clean' water unless you really go out away from 'run-off' and boat traffic. After 3 mishaps with contaminated water (only in empty QT tanks, so was lucky), I stopped trying.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Yeah I think I'm ordering the same RO/DI system KcMopar has. The woman and I drink nothing but water anyways (not including beer and wine!), so I will hook it up to the faucet in the kitchen and have it at our disposal from the top sink mount dispenser....

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have mine tee'd and use them together. I ordered mine of ebay I think, I found it pretty cheap. The place that has the ro/di unit I bought might have some, at the time they only had the same size that came with it and I was looking for more. I have mine plumbed to my fridge water and a movable hose with valve under the sink, plus I have another hose that goes across the bottom of the house to two 30G brute cans that have float valves for big water changes.

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah I think I'm ordering the same RO/DI system KcMopar has. The woman and I drink nothing but water anyways (not including beer and wine!), so I will hook it up to the faucet in the kitchen and have it at our disposal from the top sink mount dispenser....
Be careful, you may not be happy drinking straight RO/DI water. It is the minerals in water that improve the taste. Bottled purified drinking water has minerals added.

Feb 27, 2009
I simply LOVE the taste (or lack of taste) of RO water, have for years. It takes some getting used to, but wouldn't trade it for anything now. Tea, coffee, powdered drinks, etc. taste so much better too.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
From what I understand, you can get clean, filtered ocean water (for free) from Scripps. I'm not sure exactly where it is on the campus. Check out the California groups on ReefCentral to see if it's still available, if you want to go that route.

I agree a UV sterilizer isn't needed/wanted on a saltwater tank.

RO water is fine to drink, but the DI part might not be so tasty. You can definitely get bypass equipment to have a dispenser for RO and one for RO/DI. You'd still need RO water for topoffs if you do go the route of using natural seawater.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Okay so it has been forever and I am finally back on here to give some updates!

I finished the tank stand, it looks amazing. Fits perfectly in my area. Problem is I went to unwrap the aquarium, and one side of it was completely cracked! So I'm now taking it in next week to have that side glass changed out and fixed. I have to rent a truck, lift, etc etc. Going to be a pain in my butt, but oh well right!

I'm building a DIY LED light kit for my tank. Going with a kit from "Rapid LED" and a heat sink from Extruded Aluminum Heatsinks from HeatSinkUSA. Plus various parts all over (fans, wood, switches, etc. etc.). For now I'm just doing a 16" 24 light setup, but building it so that I can make another for down the road when I add corals to the tank. I will add a strip of moonlight LED's as well for the night. Making it a grand total of 48 LED lights and a simple strip of moonlights.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Here is a top view plan of the LED light I will build. I'm starting with just 26 LED's and 4 Moon lights. Going to use 10 Cool White, 10 Royal Blue, 3 Violet & 3 Neutral White. Should be sufficient for now as I plan to gradually go back into some corals and such. I can just add more lights as needed.

I'm using a 3/4" aluminum channel from the home depot to mount the lights on each strip which will be mounted to a piece of thin plywood. I'm putting it all into a nice box painted black to match with a few quiet computer fans in the top to help with the air circulation and pro-long the life of the bulbs.It will elevate the lights just a bit off the glass. Nothing too high since heat from the bulbs isn't such an issue.

I tried to incorporate a good amount of the spectrum by using the violet and neutral whites. Spreading them out was a little tough since the shape of the tank was a bit tough, but I think this will work well.

The moon lights are probably not enough, but I can add more if needed. I dont want to go overboard with them unless I have to!

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions are also welcome!

NOTED: White color=Cool White
Light Blue=Royal Blue
Pink=Violet
Yellow=Neutral White
Dark Blue=Moon Lights

Aquarium Lighting Plan-01.jpg

Last edited: