8 foot aquarium placement

Mar 14, 2013
I was considering getting an 8 foot fowlr aquarium, but the only spot in my house where it would fit is in front of a window and baseboard heater. I keep the blinds on the window closed most of the time, but I’m still concerned about the heater. Do you think it will be a problem?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you were doing a reef tank it would be more of a problem, but depending on what type of pumps you run and the general temp of the house / area, it may still run a bit warm at times. FOWLR is less sensitive in general than a reef, and also the strong lights required for a reef raise the temp and keeping reef tanks cool can be difficult in general. If you keep the house real warm in the winter, I would recommend keeping that heater covered / blocked if possible. Otherwise, the heater should be off when it is hot out (I hope... ;) ) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Depending on the stand, see if you can make it so the heater isn't going to be blowing into the stand, and keeping it real warm under the tank - a stand with a back on it would be better than a stand with an open back and enclosed everywhere else, where the heater would blow heat into the tank, and then it would just stay constantly extra warm right under the tank and overheat it. Or a totally open stand that wouldn't trap the warm air. Not sure if I described that right, but that's my thoughts.

Mar 14, 2013
I have the heat off all summer and pretty low even in the winter (around 68). The stand will have a back to it. I think I will invest in a cooler so I don't have to worry :)