75g Planted Discus...Start to Finish

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
The Plan
This is kinda for my own reference along for use for anyone who stumbles across this. Journal of sorts. I am indecisive on things, but hubby wants me to do it. As long as he gets a couple fish to throw in :rolleyes: I keep telling him oscars not an option though....lol. Maybe someday. So this first post may be edited as some things arnt all planned out yet

Nothing is really purchased yet either, sorry no pics.

Tank Size/Dimensions: 75g. 48 x 18 x 21. 850lbs with water.
Lid: Versa Top Glass Lid
Stand: Home-Built, will follow progress. Plan is for 2 door with shelf on left hand side for chemicals ect little stuffs that would waste floor space and then talking bout a 10g below it to use as QT or breed cherry shrimp for kicks (thats a maybe thing though). Right side will have nails for hanging things. On top left back I will have slots to have 2L bottles for the CO2 (think wine racks!)...also hanging power strip inside tank. Plan to stain and use antique cabinet doorhandles and trim :) On inside of door may have a mini towel rack or dowell rod to hang a towel or extras.
Canopy: Home-Built. Still in planning, will will open from front for conveince, not top. And be light enough for myself to take it off...in sickness or health. Stained to match stand (duh).

Filtration: Looking at canister filters still. Leaning to canister over HOB. Filstar mainly.
Lights: Will be a DIY project between hubby and my dad. Trying for 2.5-2.8wpg

CO2: DIY with a few 2L bottles.
Substrate: Flourite or Flourite Onyx
Fertilization Suppliments: Seachem. Flourish: Comprehensive, Iron

Decor: Driftwood. Rocks from Current River in MO. Pirate ship (Have to)

Feeding Regime: Am: Homemade beef heart. Will make my own When I get ahold of the next cow. Noon: Flakes or pellets. PM: Brine shrimp, blood worms, black worms. On occassion will be treated with live foods: Mysis, black worms, blood worms, platy fry :)
W/C Regime: Start with 15-25%WC twice weekly. Once a week later on maybe if I can get things settled and happy in tank and fish bigger and plants doing their job

Stocking List:
-5-7 Discus. Hubby picks 2 strains. I pick 2 strains. And Charlee picks 1-3 :) Getting from Hans unless I can get ahold of local guy, Jack
-3 Platy (1M,2F) from 10g
-1 Female betta from 10g
-3 Ghost Shrimp from 10g. May add more....(their my tribal fish that hubby is convinced entices fry into the house and eats them.)
-Dwarf Gourami. Hubby's pick.
-Panda Cory or Starry Night BN pleco
-BGK
-Red Ramshorn snails?
-8-12 Rummynose?
-1 Koi Angel (Cause I miss my guy)?

Plants: (Will be cut down depending on avail.)
-Amazon Sword
-Anacharis
-Anubis Barteri
-Anubis Nana
-Pygmy Chain Sword
-Micro Sword
-Corkscrew Val
-Red & Green Crypts
-Dwarf Baby Tears
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Java Fern
-Java Moss
-Marimo Ball
-Ludwegi
-Ozelot Sword
-Water Wisteria

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS

Plan for the stand....will be moving the power strip to left side though, cause idea of having it by the canister filter and DIY CO2 just looks not so smart anymore.

Disappointed...annoyed to be told by hubby that this is going to take awhile. -.- I am not so pateint I can wait 3-5 months for a stand to be built. During build though he promised to take pics as he goes, or I will try to be there when he does it, to follow it and explain everything used and all

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
well change of plans!!!

not building the stand so there wont be a follow on that...but better than that i am buying one...from my gpa! he owns a company making cabinets and furniture for 1000s of dollars. i have some furniture from him so itll be nice to have more :) and omg i can onlyh imagine me saying simple will get something beautiful! and sturdy! not sure yet how much itll cost, but prob cheaper than buying a stand or making one myself.

then going to save up for the 75g tank, buying it new! so now issues for me to worry about :)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
look into filstar, cheaper and same quality
bigger tanks are nicer :) i wont go back to a 55g because the width...annoys me

and due to a bunch of drs appointments...and putting off seeing a nuero, the tank has been put of due to money issues currently. currently working on just the 20l and will go from there. :)