75 gal DIY

Hanna87

Medium Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Iowa
Just bought myself a 75 gal tank with stand. It was such a good deal that i couldnt pass it up. The wood stand needed some work, sanding and restained, sealed. Along with the top. Cant wait to set it up in the next couple of days.

Hanna87

Medium Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Iowa
Freshwater, im still in my first year with my first tank (36 gal bowfront). Im hooked! I plan on putting cichlids in the 75, not sure what kind yet though.

Hanna87

Medium Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Iowa
Got the tank cleaned yesterday. Had to take a razor blade to the hard water stains and to my relief they came off. The tank had been sitting in a couples garage for who knows how long. He said he had had a very aggresive red devil in it.

Thinking about using sand instead of gravel for the bottom. My question is though how does that work when you go to clean the tank? For my 36 gal i have gravel and use a gravel vacumm. I would think that if you a vacumm on the sand it would just suck it all up. Lol. Hope that made sence. Can you tell that im still kinda new at this?! Lol.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have used sand, its OK if done right. The fish waste and food is to large to get down into the sand so you can turn off the pumps and stir the bottom a small section at a time and suction the waste in the area stirred. You still vacuum a little sand. Now I do not run much substrate or none at all in my tanks. Its easier to vacuum with none or very little substrate. Also with sand I noticed if I aimed my power heads down (without stirring the sand) that the waste got picked up by the filter as it was stirred off the bottom so it stayed cleaner with the heads pointed down.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Freshwater, im still in my first year with my first tank (36 gal bowfront). Im hooked! I plan on putting cichlids in the 75, not sure what kind yet though.
ahhh...now to decide if youll want to do plants in the future and a community or just have a group of colorful cichlids. you have africans and south american to choose from :)