60 gallon tank fish keep getting sick.

May 11, 2015
As much as it hurts my pride to admit this.. i am NO pro. i currently have a 60 gallon tank a 30 gallon tank and a 6 gallon fluval edge.
after i gained some confidence in my 6 gallon i purchased my next two tanks.

So my 60 gallon. I purchased two jack dempsey cichlids and an oscar they were fine until i added more fish. my tank got ich. i raised the temperature to 90 degrees and treated with it attack. after it was gone i did a 10% water change all was well. one jack demoes got fin rot and as soon as i put him in a hospital tank he died. no other fish were exposed. i purchased 2 pictus cat fish and 2 bala sharks, they were fine for two weeks then got it both balls dies within days and one pictus died. i now have 1 jack 1 oscar 1pictus 1 salini 1 red jewel 2 plecos 1 jaguar cichlid. the pictus cat looks very sick his whiskers are curled up and look like they're dying. tank got it for the second time and the fish who had it before seem to be doing fine the jewel and the salvini however not so much. i haven't been keeping up with water changes and gravel cleaning due to lack of knowledge but i just bought a siphon and plan to keep up with regular maintenance. i have a mainland dual bio wheel filter and 300 watt heater and i had carbon in my filter but was removed for treatment. i tested my water but i don't have that info right now can anyone help me? i love my fish and don't want to flush another one. what am i doing wrong????

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think you've probably gone too fast in too small of a tank. Realistically, the tank isn't large enough for the oscar alone as he grows up, and you've got a lot of fish that are big poo machines (plecos particularly). The amount of waste you're likely getting is probably too much for your cycle bacteria to keep up with. Plus the medication that you used, which likely gave another hit to whatever cycle you had going. I'd imagine you've got a bit of ammonia buildup at this point. A large (like 75% or more) water change will probably help a lot.

Then, keep an eye on your ammonia in particular and do a large water change if you get over about 0.5ppm or so. Add the carbon back in the filter in the meantime. And/Or something to remove ammonia. Something like Prime works to detoxify ammonia as well, in between water changes if ammonia is rising too fast. Don't add any more fish at this point (or really ever, if you keep what you currently have - they'll end up being too cramped as it is).

Do a bit of research on any fish before you get them in the future. There are some fish that are really just not suited to most tanks - bala sharks for example get to about 13" and need a school. You'd need like a 8'+ tank for a group of hyperactive 13" fish. Some fish are also not compatible with each other, and it's easier to figure that out ahead of time than trying to remove someone after the fact.

May 11, 2015
I think you've probably gone too fast in too small of a tank. Realistically, the tank isn't large enough for the oscar alone as he grows up, and you've got a lot of fish that are big poo machines (plecos particularly). The amount of waste you're likely getting is probably too much for your cycle bacteria to keep up with. Plus the medication that you used, which likely gave another hit to whatever cycle you had going. I'd imagine you've got a bit of ammonia buildup at this point. A large (like 75% or more) water change will probably help a lot.

Then, keep an eye on your ammonia in particular and do a large water change if you get over about 0.5ppm or so. Add the carbon back in the filter in the meantime. And/Or something to remove ammonia. Something like Prime works to detoxify ammonia as well, in between water changes if ammonia is rising too fast. Don't add any more fish at this point (or really ever, if you keep what you currently have - they'll end up being too cramped as it is).

Do a bit of research on any fish before you get them in the future. There are some fish that are really just not suited to most tanks - bala sharks for example get to about 13" and need a school. You'd need like a 8'+ tank for a group of hyperactive 13" fish. Some fish are also not compatible with each other, and it's easier to figure that out ahead of time than trying to remove someone after the fact.

Today I did a 60% water change and I am continuing to treat the fish with ich attack. If I had the carbon back and wont that just defeats the purpose of me even adding the Ich attack?

May 11, 2015
Also I came down today and both Pictus were dead I also lost the sharks. Everyone else seems to be doing fine though I will not be adding any more fish to this tank. I have a 30 gallon tank do you think I should try and separate some of those fish once their health is back to normal?The 30 gallon tank has two giant danios and one electric blue Jack Dempsey black ghost knife fish and Two sun cats but as you know those last three fish are mainly nocturnal

May 14, 2015
You have to many fish for your 30 gallon. You should not put anymore in it at this time. Your 60 gallon tank just needs to be maintained. Keep up with the water changes and test the water. I feel very lucky I have an artisan well my water is perfect. But if you have city water make sure it's treated correctly. Good luck! I hope I helped you...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes, if you are continuing to add medication don't add the carbon back yet. Once you're done medicating the carbon will help remove the remnants of the medication.

Jan 21, 2017
As much as it hurts my pride to admit this.. i am NO pro. i currently have a 60 gallon tank a 30 gallon tank and a 6 gallon fluval edge.
after i gained some confidence in my 6 gallon i purchased my next two tanks.

So my 60 gallon. I purchased two jack dempsey cichlids and an oscar they were fine until i added more fish. my tank got ich. i raised the temperature to 90 degrees and treated with it attack. after it was gone i did a 10% water change all was well. one jack demoes got fin rot and as soon as i put him in a hospital tank he died. no other fish were exposed. i purchased 2 pictus cat fish and 2 bala sharks, they were fine for two weeks then got it both balls dies within days and one pictus died. i now have 1 jack 1 oscar 1pictus 1 salini 1 red jewel 2 plecos 1 jaguar cichlid. the pictus cat looks very sick his whiskers are curled up and look like they're dying. tank got it for the second time and the fish who had it before seem to be doing fine the jewel and the salvini however not so much. i haven't been keeping up with water changes and gravel cleaning due to lack of knowledge but i just bought a siphon and plan to keep up with regular maintenance. i have a mainland dual bio wheel filter and 300 watt heater and i had carbon in my filter but was removed for treatment. i tested my water but i don't have that info right now can anyone help me? i love my fish and don't want to flush another one. what am i doing wrong????
Just because your not a pro doesn't mean you take care of your fish well. Everyone needs help when there a begginer.