60 gallon planted tank

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
60 gallon "show tank"

photo taken 4-13-06

I need to put something else in the left corner. Have any sugestions?

About the tank:

60 gallon show tank

I do have photo in stages from the beginning but I think this really where it starts.
The tank was started in March after I got done building the stand and canopy the substrate is Turface about 2” on the bottom and Florite on the top about 1 ½”
1 – 96 watt AHS CF light and 1 – 48” shop light for a total of 176 watts
Pressurized CO2 & Fluval 304 filter

Plants:
Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze,Red, Lutia,
Aptogeons: Ulvaceus & Boivinianus
Micro Sword
Water Sprite
Jungle Val
Melon Sword
Anubias Nana
Green Cabomba
Ludwigia?? - Name on the tank was Dragons tongue

Fish:

2 Blue gorimi
1 AustrlianRainbow
1 Angle fish
10 Zebras
4 Rosy barbs
2 Cory cats
1 Koli loach
1 Horse head loach

ph 7.6
kh 9.0

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
*Wipes drool from chin* That is exactly what I want! LOL

I may have to rethink my stock list too! I like your combo, although I agree, more Kuhlis and Corys. With that filtration (including the plants) you should definitly be fine on the bio load and I think (correct me if I'm wrong guys) you have plenty of adequate floor space and cover.

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
I have the chain sword in all ready but I am having a hard time keeping in the soil. Your right fishkeeper, I do need more bottom guys, I was holding off until the tank became more established.
I was hoping the water sprite would fill in that big blank in the corner but it has not took off yet...I turned up the co2 yesterday to help.
Thanks for you input.

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
I have a couple photos for the tank with no water here is the first one

you can see the plexie glass form that I made for a tarrace on both sides of the tank. I made the stand from plalet wood,mostly pine.

I got this tank as a hand-me-down and it came with out a center brace so I made one out of plexie glass. It is working great (knockon wood)

My tank is still cycling at this point but kinda a cool photo.

sorry about the photos
I'm still learning how to size the photos to post correctly

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Man, you're making me want an angelfish! LOL They don't exactly fit with anything else I want though and I refuse to have it mostly angels, blah.

I can't get over how awesome this tank is though, I have to keep comming back to look! :)

Can you tell me more about these tarraces?

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
GUPPY: I put the pictures in the wrong order...jumpfreak26 wanted to see the before photos. The first photo is the tank with no water filled up, sorry that was not clear.
The tarraces...at first I wanted to have and still do, have ground cover going up hill to the other plants. When I put all the plants in from my other tank it took up to much space.
The original design was to have it high on both sides tapering down to the rock. The right side would taper slow and the left would drop off fast. I may change out the rock to a Dark gray rock that I have. The main design got put on hold when I found the Aptogeon Ulvaceus.
I'm going to let the tank grow in a little more before I pull up plants.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Yeah, I agree that the tank looks really good. It has that natural in the wild look that I have in my tanks too. When it grown in nice and thick it will be absolutely stunning to all who see it. You've got a great start - pressurized CO2 and ~3 wpg. Make sure you fertilize the plants as they'll likely suck every bit of nutrients out of the water. The best thing about heavily planted tanks is that there is virtually no need to fear over-feeding. Fatten them suckers up.

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. That wild look is ok to a point but I did not want to get to many virieties of plants in the tank to make it look cluttered but it is on the wild side.
NoDeltaH2O said:
Make sure you fertilize the plants as they'll likely suck every bit of nutrients out of the water
I'm still a novice at the fertilizing the tank.
I have not done any root tabs yet, new florite gravel I don't think that it needs it yet. The liquid ferts I give to the tank after a water change and about twice a week I put in a dropper full. I hope that is enough. I have been having a hard time reading the test kits.....I am red-green color defincient(blind) it makes it realy hard some times. So I just drag the family into water testing.