60 gallon hexagon tank lighting question

Oct 22, 2002
Cheektowaga, NY
Hi,
I just setup a new 60 gallon hexagon tank and I'm worried that the plants I put in a few days ago are not getting nearly enough light. The hood has 2 18inch fluorescent bulbs, but only 15watts each. I changed them to the full-spectrum daylight bulbs, but they are still 15 watts each so I don't really think that is going to help. The tank is 30 inches deep so I think I need really strong lights to reach the bottom.
I was wondering if I got a 4 foot fixture and used
2 40watt full-sprectrum daylight bulbs and just set it up so it was vertical along the side of the tank, if that would work through the glass and provide enough light?

Does anyone have any ideas or better suggestions?

Thanks, Rob

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=skullplate link=board=beginner=986945497=0#0 date=04/10/01 at 16:31:37]
Hi,
I just setup a new 60 gallon hexagon tank and I'm worried that the plants I put in a few days ago are not getting nearly enough light. The hood has 2 18inch fluorescent bulbs, but only 15watts each. I changed them to the full-spectrum daylight bulbs, but they are still 15 watts each so I don't really think that is going to help. The tank is 30 inches deep so I think I need really strong lights to reach the bottom.
I was wondering if I got a 4 foot fixture and used
2 40watt full-sprectrum daylight bulbs and just set it up so it was vertical along the side of the tank, if that would work through the glass and provide enough light?

Does anyone have any ideas or better suggestions?

Thanks, Rob
[/quote]

Wow... half a watt a gallon and a depth of 30"? Thats sooo little light. You need 3 wpg minimum to grow anything really in a tank that deep. Best option would be a high pressure sodium or metal halide lamp.