57 gallon frameless Indonesian aquarium.

Mikeyboi86

Small Fish
Feb 27, 2010
Okay after lots of studying and some great advise I FINALLY got together what to stock my tank with. So Here goes!

Tiger barb
Green- 11
Normal - 8

Zebra loach - 5

Gouramis
Moonlight - 2 (Will try introducing them first and let them settle in then add others)
or Opaline - 2 (if the moonlights start to get picked on ill get these instead)

Bamboo Shrimp - 3

Okay, now for the plants.

Pellia in the back right corner growing on the rock work.
Tiger lotus in the front right cornere of the tank.
Asian Ambulia along the back of the tank.
Straight Vallisneria weaving through drift wood in the middle of the left wall
And Dwarf hairgrass infront of the drift wood and vallisheria and a patch of sand between the tiger lotus and the dwarf hairgrass.

Let me know what you guys think :) was kinda of inspired by Amano Takeshi, with some of my own stuff worked in. Its going to be work in progress for a long time but definitely worth it.

Would you guys recommend ALL the plants set up first or like some of them and the moonlights then finish the planting and get the rest of the fish after that? (Not all at once of course.)

Last edited:

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
If you are willing to risk your gouramis you can do a fish-in cycle with them and the live plants. gouramis were always one of my favorite fish to cycle with since they are so durable. I don't know moonlights so well though.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
OC, what is a silent-cycle, please?
And why would anyone deliberately do a fish-in cycle? There must be a reason . . . . .
I do it because there are no places in RI or nearby MA stocking pure ammonia without additives. I am also very knowledgeable about fish and can spot any signs of stress, am currently unemployed and at home all day. I have the time and the ability to watch fish all day for signs of trouble and change water as necessary

Mikeyboi86

Small Fish
Feb 27, 2010
I do it because there are no places in RI or nearby MA stocking pure ammonia without additives. I am also very knowledgeable about fish and can spot any signs of stress, am currently unemployed and at home all day. I have the time and the ability to watch fish all day for signs of trouble and change water as necessary
Moonlights i hear are moderately hardy so i don't think I should risk then for cycling. Not that they are expensive fish or anything. Its just that if i can avoid losing even a single fish i feel like a better aquarist :).

I do think I am going to go with the opaline gouramis... Every thing i read says that the moonlights, although they will most likely not be pestered to death, will end up miserable sitting in the corner of the tank. They dont like it when fish move fast apparently......

Feb 27, 2009
OC, what is a silent-cycle, please?
A silent-cycle is when you get enough plant material growing well in the aquarium to handle the fish you put in there, ammonia-wise. There is no bacteria cycle to go through because the plants take in the ammonia as its given off by the fish. No available ammonia means no nitrite and no nitrate.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Ahhh, okay.
If one tries for a silent-cycle, would that just entail planting the new tank for a couple of weeks previous? Without adding the fish to contribute ammonia, would it be possible to add some ammonia drops, or just a bit of that substance called 'Cycle'? That sounds too simple. I'm just wondering why everyone doesn't use the silent cycle, or any cycling technique that won't endanger the fishies.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I sorta did that with my 10 gallon planted tank. although, as you said I fed the plants with ammonia before I added the fish 2 weeks later (after growth was visible)

Feb 27, 2009
If one tries for a silent-cycle, would that just entail planting the new tank for a couple of weeks previous?
I usually only wait 2 or 3 days before stocking the tank with the fish.

Without adding the fish to contribute ammonia, would it be possible to add some ammonia drops, or just a bit of that substance called 'Cycle'?
I've never added ammonia drops or used 'Cycle.'

That sounds too simple. I'm just wondering why everyone doesn't use the silent cycle, or any cycling technique that won't endanger the fishies.
The key is FAST GROWING stem plants. You need good light (2.5+ WPG normally) to do it. The average aquarium keeper doesn't keep nearly that amount of light over a tank. If you don't need to trim the plants WEEKLY, then they are not growing fast enough to do a 'silent cycle.'

All of my tanks have between 2.75 and 4 WPG, so there was no need to do a normal cycle with that kind of set-up. I usually don't want the plants that are used to do the silent-cycle because of the constant maintanence, so I slowly replace them with slower growing plants as the tank matures.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, OP!

Feb 27, 2009
I can't wait to see your completed set-up. Many of my fish come from that area of the world and I'm exploring plant selections now for a new tank with an eye for making things 'home' for them.

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks for the explanation! I was, like, whoaaa!!! A fish-in cycle because you throw in a few plants???
I have two aquariums that were set up the same day with the same fast-growing stem plants, with just under 3WPG. They were planted on a Friday and I added the fish on that Sunday and have been running since early August. I test the water every month still, but they show zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for several months at a time. I add extra fish food to build up some nitogen for the plants to consume (one of the Hygro species shows nitrogen defiency early on so I use that as my indicator) rather than use dry ferts on them.

You'd think they were JUST set up and I was doing a 'fish-in' cycle by the readings. But fish are happy/healthy and frequently spawn in the moss in one corner.