55g Gourami upgrade

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
This is the tank I put together over the weekend. Everything from the 29g was used, but I also added 2 larger pieces of driftwood and a hunk of amazon sword d=from the livebearer tank.
Also added was some fauna: breeding pair of GBR's and 7 red minor tetras. I know it's a bit much alll at nce, but I am prepped and ready to do water changes daily. Also, I used EcoComplete as teh bottom layer to help with the plants... and the bacteria load. so far I havn't seen any crazy spikes, but it hasn't been 24 hrs yet.

Below are pics of the tank (first without the added driftwood, then later with it. Also some of the fish, new and old. (apparently I reached the photo limit, so the rest will follow in a reply...)
new tank & hatchling panthers 001.jpg new tank & hatchling panthers 007.jpg new tank & hatchling panthers 008.jpg new tank & hatchling panthers 013.jpg new tank & hatchling panthers 014.jpg

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
not bad, parameters are holding steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20ppm nitrates every day since the tank was set up. I've only had 1 tetra disappear, and I don't know if it's just hiding (since these guys didn't read the handbook on schooling and swim about the tank singly or in pairs) or if it passed. No ammonia spike tho, so it may just be hiding. I really want to add the black neons while they are on sale, but I don't want to throw the parameters off by adding 10 more fish so soon. I will just have to wait for the sale to come around again.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Its hard to say, in an established tank you would more then likely be OK but, in a new tank its a 50/50 chance I would say. If you are able to monitor the tank like a hawk and water change for a couple days to keep ammonia at bay you might be safe if it goes through a mini cycle but, chances are it might do a whole big cycle as well. There is no doubt it would probably mini cycle as ten fish would be a big load all at once. Its best to add a couple or a few if they are tiny, it would be awful to loose fish because of not taking your time and doing it right. I am for a couple at a time, the pet store might hold them a few days if you buy them. You could get a couple every other day and work them in slowly.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm with Kerry on taking it slowly. Your setup might not see an ammonia spike at all, or it might manifest in a few more days. Plus, I like to spread out 'newness' - enjoy the new tank right now and get another hit of newness when you add more fish down the line!

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I ended up getting the new fish, but they passed away within a day. I took their bodies back and got a refund. The tank parameters were fine whole time, with no spikes at all. Leaving the rest as is, since I think they stressed more with the added fish and the change. They are going really well 1 month in to the new tank. The plants seem to like the the new substrate also. I need to score a new light, as my friend wants his back, but I'm hoping to find one used somewhere that can adequately provide for the plants.