55 gallon BW Journal

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
Hi all, I fell in love with the GSP's from wally world and had to buy myself a couple. I had an extra 55 gallon tank sitting around and a place in the livng room to put it, so needless to say, I started this tank up. My plan is to gradually raise the salinity to a plateu of 1.010 for a few months, then 1.018 for a few more months and finally ending with an SG of 1.024(marine).

Tank started 5-26-09

Standard 55 gallon (48"x21"x12")
30 lbs of crushed coral
several fake plants and large stump ornament
400 w theo submersible heater
dual bio wheel HOB filter(no markings on the filter but has several spots for filter pads and lots of room, it really moves the water too)

I purchased two 1.5" GSPs really early on the 26th, about 1 am(after work)
I went home and filled the tank with water(yes, after I bought the fish) and the temp was at 82 F, I put some stress coat in to take care of chlorine and chloramines and put a couple of seeded filter pads from my 90 gallon tank to aid in the cycle. By 3 am I was ready for bed and the puffers were acclimated and in the tank. I woke up around 9 am on the 27th and went out and bought 4 mollies, 2m and 2f(both pregnant). I got those acclimated and headed out to work.

On 5-28 I tested the water and found 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate, so I did a water change and went to lfs for 1/2 off fish Thursday and bought 4 more mollies(2m and 2f)

5-29 Occupants: 2 gsp, 4f mollies and 4m mollies, fully stocked and cycled, tested water and had 0,0,20 so I did another water change, I also filled two 5 gallon buckets with water and put a half cup of Instant Ocean salt in each and placed air stones into each bucket

5-30 Checked salinity and found it at 1.005 in each bucket so I added another half cup of salt and waited a couple hours, rechecked salinity and found it at 1.010
Tested the water and found 0,0,10, I did a water change, lol, but for good reason this time as I refilled the 10 gallons(20%) I took out with the prepped salt water from the 5 gallon buckets
The puffers and mollies all swam through the salty water as I poured it in and seem to enjoy the added salt already, tested the water in the tank after an hour and the salinity is now 1.002, just where I wanted it.

Any thoughts, comments, or questions are appreciated,

Thanks for looking

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
Thanks DP. I will be heading to LFS near my parents house to pick up some mangroves soon. I have some java moss in there now, but not sure if any other plants will go into it. I have anubias, anacharis, water spirte, and hornwort in my planted tanks and have read that all of these will survive in brackish water. I am thinking they might be better for low end brackish vs. the full marine I want to finish with. As far as inverts go, I was under the impression that any crabs or snails would get eaten by the puffers, are there some that will survive?

Updates:

5-30 Mixed 10 more gallons of water with an SG of 1.014

6-1 Tested water and found 0, 0, 10 and took out 10 gallons and replaced with the premixed 10 gallons at 1.014

Salinity shortly after change was 1.004 in the tank. Moving up in increments of .002, perfect.

Mixed 10 more gallons of water with an SG of 1.016

6-2 Tested water and found 0,0,10, pH 8.0, kH, 90-110pm, PO4, .25

Changed out 10 gallons and replaced with premixed @ 1.016

Salinity: 1.007

I also placed some pieces of slate with nerite snail eggs in a breeder tank. The snails dropped eggs all over my 30g planted tank and there are probably 30 or so eggs on the two pieces of slate, we'll see if anything happens.

Lost one molly that was purchased on the 28th, no other fish show any signs of stress.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Ahhhhh *thumbsups good reading! It's nice to see another enthused brackish keeper here on MFT! I'll be reading this thread regularly! PM me if you have any questions. So far so good! I'd level off on the salinity levels for a little while if I were you. Keep it at about 1.007-1.008 for a month or so to let the SW bacteria establish nicely.

Lucky Wally World GSP's you got there! If only everyone who purchased them there took this much care & attention as to their needs....