55 gal update more pics

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
I have this huge picture window going from the entry room to the living room... Are you thinking what i am ?? lol so a custom stand was in order

after gering the tank on the stand and filled

some shelves to store all the goodies

the view from the living room

someone on the other side lol

Everyone one here has helped me alot i thank you for that!! why didnt you warn me on how addictive it is!!! let me know what you think I still have to fnish some trim work and make doors ect.

Lol, I'm sorry, did you not read the fine print? Buying a tank and then joining MFT can cause you to develop MTS. :)

Nice job! Looks like you could fit a couple more tanks in there! I wish I had more room, but a 55g and a 6.6g is all that will fit in my room...saves me some money though! Ha! :D

It would be awesome if you could attach the filter to the side somehow. Then the tank would look better from both sides.

Edit: I think you need a stepladder to vacuum the tank now...plus, that filter looks a little small. What is it?

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
Yeah it is a little tall. But i think i will be worth it! being able to see it and haveing everything in another room. i am going to make some of my own hoods so i can have all the cords and lines go out the ends so i can enjoy it from both sides. that filter is a penguin 200 3 stage with a bio wheel. 200 gal per hr, am i going to need anyother filters skimmers ect? Remember i just got into this 3weeks ago!! lol it came with a 12 inch air stone and pump is that enough air supply for a 55?

I have a Penguin 350B on mine cuz the one on my 20g was too small...I think that was a Penguin 200. I suggest getting a bigger one. :) And you don't really need the extra air supply. It just makes the tank look better. Just make sure the water can't back up right up to the pump when it's turned off. Have the airline go up above the water line, a couple inches, and then down to the pump.

what about getting another 200. i think the 300 would be too long to mount at the end of the tank i am only 12.5 inchesthen i could mount one at each end???
Oh yeah, silly me. Yup, that won't work, but getting another 200 will probably fix that. :) You'll have some weird water circulation going on, not like anyone can tell. lol :D

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
sorry it has only been a month sincie i got in the whole fish tank deal. i dont even know what a cansiter filter is or how it works or how much it cost. i was going to go get the other 200 today but i will wait now where is a good source to find info on one? what size should i get ect?

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
I think this is a little odd but i have been testing this 55 gal tank every day right after i set it up i put some gravel, plant's and the filter that i ran in the ten gal for 2 days in the 55 gal so far i have not had any ammonia,but today i had 20 ppm nitrAte and .50 ppm nitrite ph has been 7.6+ would it be cycled after 3 days just by useing things from the other tank? do you see anything wrong with these readings? nitrite too high?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Seems like its cycled or close to it.... how much ammonia did you add? I think most people add about 4 ppm initially and when the tank/filter can reduce it to zero in a 24 hour period its considered cycled....

BTW Id get another 200 biowheel filter, one for each side sounds good but I wouldn't fill your stock limit until that filter builds up more bacteria like your current one apparently has. Canister filters are nice and ideal in your setup but much more expensive then what you could pay for just another power filter.

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
i did not add any ammonia.... just the things from the other tank wich had about 1 ppm at the time. i was supprised when i seen the test? i am going to wait a few days to make sure nothing spikes.