5 gallon nano -- some advice please?

Nov 15, 2004
St. Catharines, Ont.
Visit site
Hey.. I'm new to saltwater tanks, as I've never had one before, but in the near future I may be getting a fairly cheap 15gallon freshwater tank to replace my 5 gallon. [I know many of you will recommend making the 15g into the saltwater, but I don't have enough money for the LR and sand.. it's $9/lb here] One of my friends at the LFS suggested setting up my 5 gallon as a nano-saltwater tank, and offered to help me. I know nanos aren't recommended for beginners, but as he's volunteered to help me set it up and guide me through the entire process [and the store is a 25 minute busride so help is not that far away], I thought it might not be so bad. :)
Currently I have my 5g tank that I'm looking to empty. I know that the filter in it is not suitable for saltwater [it's an Elite Stingray 5], so Eric [LFS guy] is giving me an old Aquaclear Mini of his. He's also given me a 50 watt Tronic heater. I planned to get some bagged sand and add a cup of the sand from one of the store tanks to it, to make it live. Then I was going to get 5 pounds of live rock as well, and probably some small corals. Which, knowing Eric, will be put in the bag with the rock and not written on the bag. :D I am not positive on what fish I want to add to this yet, but I know I'm probably limited to one.. I was thinking maybe just a clownfish?
So basically, here's what I'm planning. If there's anything wrong with this setup, PLEASE tell me!

5 gallon tank
5 lbs live rock with some coral
5 lbs sand [plus 1 cup live sand from store to save some money]
Aquaclear mini filter
50 watt Tronic heater
[Possibly] 1 clownfish.

If the clownfish isn't feasible, are there any other options with a tank this small? I'll get something else, it's just that they have baby percula clownfish at the store, and they're so cute.. *thumbsup2

Thanks!

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Im sure a perc. would be fine in a 5. The biggest thing ive learned through setting up my 10gal is to not go too fast: wait a few weeks after your tank cycles before you add the coral. As far as LS make sure you just add a thin layer on top of the regular sand, rather than mixing it together. Even a nano will run you back with all the crap you have to buy, i end up burning at least $40 every time i go to my LFS on different things. Also remember that you dont need an anemone for your clown, which is better anyways because they're impossibly hard to raise without proper conditions and lighting. You could also keep some shrimp and snails with the clown to clean up your tank.

Im learning too, its a bit overwhelming at times. You really have to be a lot more particular about everything with a SW tank, especially with a small tank. Try looking through some books, they've really helped me a lot.

Nov 15, 2004
St. Catharines, Ont.
Visit site
Oh believe me, I expect that I'll be spending a lot of money on this.. lol Since my filter/heater are free courtesy of my favourite LFS employee, and I already have the tank with lighting.. all I'd have to buy is the stuff to go in the tank.. Sand itself is $6.45 for a bag large enough to cover my tank, and it'd be $45 for the rock.. corals are optional, but knowing Eric he'll sneak them out for me.. And then the clownfish is $35. All that plus tax is roughly $100.. I'm seriously hoping for Christmas money. :D Then no one can yell at me when I spend it on fish! ..Cleaner shrimp are also fairly cheap, and snails are relatively free if they just 'happen' to land in the bag with fish. lol

Oh, and I did find a website earlier that may be helpful, which was http://www.nano-reef.com ..there's a lot of good articles there that I read. :)

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
hahaha, yeh, thats what i thought too. Trust me, you'll end up spending more. But its totally worth it, every penny. In the end it looks so awesome. Heck, i havent even reached anywere near the end and i love my tank. Perculas are absolutely gorgeous, and fun to watch. Id love to see pics when you start setting it up.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, everything sounds alright. You will need light however. Depending on the corals you want to keep fluorescents or power compact is my recommendation.

Nov 15, 2004
St. Catharines, Ont.
Visit site
..Corals aren't really that necessary, to be honest, it was just a thought. If it means a serious lighting upgrade it might be better to drop them.
I'm just trying to do this on a major budget, as I have 6 years of university to pay for after this one's up, and I'm not too sure my mom will go for a really expensive, tiny saltwater tank. I mentioned it to her, and she said that I'd have to start saving for it now, and research it until at least March.. I think she's convinced I'll give up on it! lol ..I probably won't be setting it up until summer though, so I've got the time.
I've had a lot of other people tell me a percula isn't feasible in a 5g.. is this true?

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
percs get about 3" or so, its up to personal experience/preference i suppose, but i dont think it will be that much harder. You just have to keep up with constant water changes and you cant keep much else in the tank

Oct 31, 2004
Monterey Park CA
Visit site
If you don't feel comfortable with the percula clown idea you can always get a neon goby or any other type of small goby. You can probably keep 2 pygmy/neon/gold striped neon gobies in there. If you happen to get a pair then you can put a shell and they may mate. Then if the babies survive you can sell them off and try to get money for other things. HTH *SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL