40 gallon tank- advice

Apr 9, 2013
im new to this and wondering if a
clown fish
dwarf angel
cardinal
yellow tail damsel and a blenny and a shrimp would live together and not fight?

thanks x

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That's a pretty good list - my thoughts:

Clownfish - depends on the species. Percula or ocellaris should be fine (the "nemo" type ones), the others are more aggressive and may cause problems.

Damsels - these are aggressive, more so in smaller tanks. I would look into something else to replace this, as they tend to take over the tank, especially if they are not the last fish added. And they can be very difficult to remove...

Shrimp - most of the commonly available shrimp should be fine - ie peppermints, cleaners, fire/blood shrimp, pistol shrimp (though you won't see this without the goby) - except for coral banded shrimp. As the coral banded shrimp grow, they can eat the small fish like you're planning.

Consider a goby or a flasher wrasse in place of the damsel. A firefish would also be a good choice, and I'm sure there are others as well. Liveaquaria.com is a good place to check out some potential fish.

If you like the blue color of the damsel, I *highly* recommend a neon blue goby. They are small, peaceful, primarily tank bred - thus good eaters, hardy. They are also a cleaner species. Unlike most gobies, the neon blues will hang out more in the water column. They will sit on your finger and/or eat out of your hand too :)