40 gallon reef

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Here's some of the pictures of my 40 gallon reef tank. They all can be seen here

Tank Info:
Tank Size: 40 Gallon Breeder tank (36"x18"17").
Filtration: Natural filtration via Live rock and DSB (Southdown sand seeded with live sand from other reef tanks).
Skimmer: CPR Bak Pak II skimmer with prefilter and bubble trap accessories.
Lighting: 220w of Compact Flourescents 2x 55w 10,000K, and 2x 55w Actinic 03.
Water Circulation: 2x Maxi Jet 900 power heads, 1 Hagen Pro 2 power head, and 1 Rio 90 power head.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Thanks for all the complements. I'll try to answer a few of the questions:

The tank has been up since early march, so it's about 5 months old. The live rock, though, mostly came out of another reef tank. I purchased it as the tank was coming down. It was covered with coraline algae when I purchased it. I also received the leather corals, a cup coral, and the fish (minus the damsel which I had all ready) at that time.

The corals are actually animals (invertebrates) that are mostly sessile (they do not move much.) Some have photosynthetic algae within their cellular structure and produces food for the animal. Others are filter feeders which consume nutrients within the water collumn. Some corals were attached to the rocks all ready. Some corals are still free standing, and will not attach. Others were loose when I purchased or traded for them, and have since attached to the rock.

The yellow fish is called a yellow watchmen goby. ( Cryptocentrus cinctus ) They are bottom dwelling fish which like to burrow in the sand bed. They also sometimes form a symbiotic relationship with a pistol shrimp. I hope to purchase one eventually.

As far as learning on how to do a saltwater aquarium, I've learned loads of information from reefcentral.com, as well as my local reef club (upstatereef.com), as well as the saltwater forums right here on this site. If anyone is interested in setting up a reef tank, they are not that much harder than a planted freshwater tank, just a little more time consuming (and a lot more expensive.) Finding others in your area that have reef tanks can be quite helpful. You can ask loads of questions, and most will be more than willing to help you. They may invite you over to see their tanks, and be willing to trade or sell you a coral frag or two.

It's also helpful to find a local fish store who is knowledgeable with saltwater. I'm moving within the next two months, and my biggest concern is saltwater supplies. I'm moving into a town which does not have any pet stores that carry saltwater supplies, fish, etc. I'll be driving back to Buffalo (2+ hour) drive for all my fishy needs.

I hope this helps someone, and if you have any questions email me or PM me and I'll try and help some more. Cheers!