36 Gallon Bow Front Tank

very nice , the black gravel really brings out the plants in the tank.
Thanks! :D I saw one of OC's tanks and it had dark gravel, I really liked it and wanted to do it. It also brings out the color of the fish, which so nicely hide EVERY time I take a photo...not that I can catch them fast enough anyhow.

It use to have the Red Sea Flora, which was really beautiful as well, a more natural look but the black just brought the colors of everything out so much better.

*sneaks over to riseabovethesun's house to steal a piece of the lace*
LOL

You seriously need to try and grow some! I bet you could do it way easily :) I went to show my mom my tank when she was visiting and after its been remodeled and she always runs straight to look at the lace and talks about how its her favorite plant.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Everything is doing fantastic, except the anubia, not really sure...what's going on with it, you can see the little tears/holes and yellow/brown spots.
Maybe my eyes are going, but where was the anubia in these pics?
Your plants look amazingly healthy and in perfect condition! I still struggle with mine - having to prune old leaves, trim stems all the time.

Maybe my eyes are going, but where was the anubia in these pics?
Your plants look amazingly healthy and in perfect condition! I still struggle with mine - having to prune old leaves, trim stems all the time.
Oh let's see. Second one from the bottom in the first post. It's under the heater, behind the ulvaceus...I guess I didn't get that many of it :/

Your eyes are fine :) and thanks they've been growing nicely lately I'm loving it, I do get the usual brown leaf floating around every so often I have to scoop out, drives me crazy!

Not Sure Where To Post This..

Little update on my tank :)

Some new guests in the tank. There's only one CRS in that photo, that's the female, the male was swimming on the other end. I also bought one more Amano today to make either 4 or 5, since so many had died :(

Tank is doing fabulous though. Shrimp are insanely active and I have spotted at a minimum of 10 cherry babies/juveniles. I'm pretty excited :) The bamboo shrimp have both recently moulted and they look great, along with the other Amanos. Pretty happy all around :)

Oh yea! And I got to meet the tattoo artist, who also works at the LFS who had designed the tank I have. Of course I've changed it since, but that was pretty cool and he's super awesome. He also gave me a freaking sweet ADA catalogue, gosh I need money!

Your tank is so lovely!

Do the snails bother your plants? I had to switch to sand to get all the snails out of my tank but I absolutely love the look of the black gravel. You've made me curious about having black sand in my tanks!
Aw, thanks :) I'm pretty proud of my tank it's been a huge work in progress since February!

I've never been sure about the snails, I suddenly thought they were but I don't know...I bought assassin snails who have gotten rid of all the "pest" snails it's been a miracle. I do have the one nerite in there who keeps all the algae under control for the most part, assassins don't bother him. I hear that can be a 50/50 chance, nerites have a little trap door style entrance and are just too big for the usual meal.

I have sand in my betta tank I love it, I've thought about sand in the 36 but ever since OC suggested black on here and I've seen some of her tanks with black I just really wanted it. It really brings out the neon colors of the fish/shrimp and makes the plants bright.

I recently added CRS and Bee shrimp who look gorgeous on black sand.

@laura, thanks! And I actually (it's hard to see, the new tall wood/plant is in front of them) have some long thin val like plants back there, I'm not positive what they are, there are only a few so I might try to unplant and move them over. The only downfall is that spraybar has holes on the top and the sides, so like the crypts (I believe they are) just blow down and the bar is exposed anyway...

I'd really just like to get some acrylic tubing that's black to fix it, maybe soon.

@newman thank you! :D

@prsturm, you want a ...?

Last edited: