36 Gallon Bow Front Tank

This is two days after changing the substrate; pH: 7.2, nitrite: 0.1, ammonia:0

I tried super hard to get a good photo of the tank but it was just impossible, especially since we don't have curtains on our windows and there are two major windows that affect the photos in the day. But this at least gives an idea of the setup I have going on.

Also, I know the CO2 set up takes away from the aesthetics but it would cost me too much to update looks right now. And I attempted to take some photos of the fish but they were not having it, so maybe tonight it will be better~

Feb 27, 2009
I'd really love to get a better photo though!
Advice given to me by a gal that does photography for a magazine:

For planted tanks: do the photo right after a water change, and clean the front of the glass with a cloth or sponge on the inside, and vineagar on the outside (being careful not to get any vinegar IN the tank. Turn off all filters/CO2 injection, etc while doing the photos (the slightest water movement will distort the picture). Take the photo after sunset, turning off all lights in the room and any adjacent rooms while doing the photos. Don't use flash on your camera, just use the light from the tank's light. Frame the tank in your view finder so that the lighting unit can't be seen (the frame of the tank is a good way to get JUST the tank in the photo), otherwise, you will get a glare at the top between the light fixture and the tank itself.

Very healthy-looking plants! I'm envious of your lace plant!

Last edited:
Advice given to me by a gal that does photography for a magazine:

For planted tanks: do the photo right after a water change, and clean the front of the glass with a cloth or sponge on the inside, and vineagar on the outside (being careful not to get any vinegar IN the tank. Turn off all filters/CO2 injection, etc while doing the photos (the slightest water movement will distort the picture). Take the photo after sunset, turning off all lights in the room and any adjacent rooms while doing the photos. Don't use flash on your camera, just use the light from the tank's light. Frame the tank in your view finder so that the lighting unit can't be seen (the frame of the tank is a good way to get JUST the tank in the photo), otherwise, you will get a glare at the top between the light fixture and the tank itself.

Very healthy-looking plants! I'm envious of your lace plant!
Thanks for the advice! I definitely knew I should have at least taken it when the sun wasn't out. I recently returned my Canon Rebel T1i and wished I had taken some photos before I did that D:

I will totally try out those tricks though, someone also told me recently that since my background is reflective if you use a small amount of mineral oil and wipe it all over it, place it back on the back get out the air bubbles, etc., that it won't be reflective. Gotta try that.

&by the looks of your tank(s) honey you could grow a GORGEOUS lace leaf, so don't be silly~!

beautiful! That looks really really great! What is your stocking :) ?
Thanks! It's been a long progress. My tank includes:

8-10 Cardinals
10-14 Rummy Nosed Tetras
1 Galaxy guppy and a few of his babies
4 Kuhli Loaches
1 misc. fish
Bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, cherry, shrimp and some others.
a snail

Some of the plants:
Madagascar lace leaf
Java Moss
Anubia Congensis
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Java Fern
Dwarf Sagittaria
Java Fern Lace
2 pieces of large driftwood
Some other misc.

Curious, is 'misc. fish' the scientific name? LOL *BOUNCINGS

Post a pic of it, we can all guess until someone is right!
LOL! Yes! That is the scientific name geee! It's a misc. fish! I'll go try and take a photo right now and get back to you....you know how well I take photos *eeek*

Okay here is the fishy he isn't anything fancy (probably something super common) but boy is he LIME green, the pictures don't do justice, he schools with the cardinals:

Last edited:
I think I know that one! Microrasbora Kubotai...
D'aw! You named my misc. fish :] I wonder why the previous owner's just tossed him into the tank, because he isn't in a school and after reading about them apparently they are supposed to be. No wonder why he thinks he is a cardinal, he needs a school to swim with!

Thanks though, that's awesome that you knew this :D I love his lit up green body, it's quite fascinating.

Apr 14, 2008
LOL. You're welcome! They are a very pretty fish species...

I wish my betta in my 10 wasn't an ambush predator that way I could actually have a few rare fish like this is in with him. :rolleyes:

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I saw the Coralife logo on the fixture, but was curious if it was CF or T-5. I have two of the double CF 48"s (one on a planted 55g and one on a 55g cichlid tank). I managed to get that last one for $50 on eBay. I should have went with T-5's (about $10 cheaper per lamp).