30 Gallon tank and Betas

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
How many Betas could I stock up in a 30 gallon tank without them fighting each other, also, what else would be a good mix of fish that would get along with them. I am a beginer here, never set up a tank before.

~Tomas

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you put in a male betta, you can't keep another male betta or a female betta (you even have to separate a breeding pair after breeding to avoid her getting injured) or a gourami including paradise fish or really any fancy-finned fish, as the betta will take the long, colorful fins as indicating a rival. I have harlequin rasboras in with mine. Some male bettas will tolerate no tankmates whatsoever.
If you choose female bettas, you have more leeway as to tankmates, but I prefer that to be addressed by someone who has done that.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have a male betta in a 30G and he loves it! He swims all over the place and likes to drape his tall on the plants and "sits" on them. So funny. He is really friendly too and will eat out my hand, let me touch his tail. He gets along well with my neon tetras, corys, bushynose pleco, male and female cockatoo cichlid pair...I do have him with a male gourami which is not usually recommended but they get along fine because their temperments are similar (don't have aggressive personalities). Some bettas and gouramis are really aggressive and if you put them with each other they will beat each other up. To be on the safe side don't put a betta with gouramis or other labryinth fish.

Jenn

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
try to put 1 male n 2females if u 1.r u goin to plant ur tank??or pt some rocks or deco so they can hide.they most likely attack most wide surface fish,juz like da bull.bt is seldom ppl puttin them with other fish,they prefer to be in a single tank with a bottomfeeder only.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you don't have the betta yet, you can pick out a pretty passive one at the store and hold his little cup up to the tanks of fish to make sure he doesn't flare at them. They should do okay with tetras, rasboras, a big school of danios (big enough that they don't pick on the betta), any bottom feeders aside from sharks, probably some other things too. Unless it was a REALLY big tank, you wouldn't want a male with any other bettas, including females.

Female bettas give you a lot more leeway. They can go with pretty much any community fish. You can even have a group of them, just make sure you've got enough plants and decorations and stuff in the tank for them to each make a territory.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I would not put an angle near a betta! There are a s/a cichled(spl?)

Bettas dont really suite a thank with other fish. There all diffrent. I mean one person could tell you that a betta gets on fine with lets say neons. But YOUR betta might kill them!!

IMO get a 2-4gal bowl/tank for your betta,and stock your other tank with somthing else.*thumbsups

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Yeah that's true...my betta gets along well with my neons and all the other fish but someone else on this forum somewhere (can't remember who) wrote that his betta ate the eyes out of his glowlight tetras and awoke to them swimming around in circles...Oh god when i read that post I felt sick and I was constantly making sure my neons had their eyes still! :(

Like other people mentioned above just hold your betta cup up to other fish tanks to see if he gets all upset, he might flare a little but if he goes totally crazy he probably has a more agressive personality. then if you buy one just keep a real close eye on him for a few days and be prepared to take him out if necessary. You'll probably know right away if it's going to work out or not.