3 sets of molly fry in one day

soriya

New Fish
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
today i woke to find that my silver lyertail molly delivered whale i was asleep, then a few hrs later seen that my dalmation molly had 2 fry (should there be more?) and then my black baloon molly is having more as we speak..........is this common and should my dalmation have more?

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
molly fry

My dalmation molly had six fry her first time - am waiting for another batch but who knows... Four passed on and my two remaining are a great size (netted the fry of course). So, maybe dalmations have a smaller litter? Dunno but good luck.

Phroge

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Cary, North Carolina
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that your molly had more than two. What usually happens is the new fry become a quick snack for other fish. When the fry come out, they are usually not fully ready to start playing hide and seek from the other fish. They'll drop down to the bottom and just sit for a while. When they start to move, it's like ringing the dinner bell.

-Phroge

soriya

New Fish
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
i had her is a bi lvl breading tank so that once passed from the mother the fall into a seperate area so i am quite sure there are only 2.......... now total of all 3 i have bout 30 survivors but its only day 2 so we will see