29 Gallon Reef Journal

Here is the beginnings of my 29 gallon reef journal. The other day I was riding around and stopped at a garage sale. I looked around just to find a 29 gallon long(36X12X16) and 10 gallon(standard). All for $10. What a steal. Checked em, no leaks. Anyways, here is basically what i plan on doing. Adding a DIY overflow on 29, going to a 10 gallon for a sump. This tank is going to be a full blown reef tank, I hope. Well I'll quit talking and get you a pic of the tanks. hopefully we get it drilled and all finished in a couple weeks.
PICS!
29 gallon

10 gallon(excuse the writing, I left directions on tanks when I was traveling)

Both

Enjoy!
jump

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
When ever you buy a used tank you need to ensure that the tanks have never had copper medications used in them. If they have you will be severly limited in what you will be able to house........as the copper gets into the seams etc and is virtually impossible to remove all traces

update 1/21/08

Ok. Its been a while, had a few delays, but now im back on track. Right now im doing my hw before i take the test aka setup the tank. I want to take this step by step, it will be very slow. I dont want to think ahead about what im going to do here and there. step by step. So i have a tank, and a stand on the way, so im trying to figure out the plumbing next. i have a 10 gal to-be-sump, and i would like to get opinions on some stuff. im thinking of a CPR CS90DX hang on overflow, which will go into the sump. I will have an approx. 600 gph return pump. What i need help with is an opinion on the overflow yes or no? and any input on a good return pump? im looking but idk what to look for.... thanks for your help!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i thought u were guna drill the tank? im very happy with my Aqua Medic oceanrunner 2500... its about 700 gph but after u account for the head loss itll be exactly what your looking for.... IMO if the tank is empty save alot of head aches and just get it drilled !

Well i was, but i didnt really like the huge oveflow in corner, and we just dont want to take our chances. This is a house tank too, im leaving for college next fall, and im leaving it to my dad, so i want it to be simple. Also, can i use a powerhead as return pump? such as a rio or maxi jet?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well if you want easy then I suggest you drill it. Unless you are constantly monitoring an overflow siphon it could be a disaster waiting to happen......drilling is the answer and I wouldn't suggest a powerhead as a return pump as most don't have the punch needed to push the water that far.

update 1/22/08

Well i just got done scraping all of the blue paint off the back of the tank. Bright background IMO suck. I looked on the net looking for best way to remove paint from glass. I tried mineral spirits thinking i knew it all(i am a tennager, duh)lol. Didnt do a thing, i just did a spot on the bottom making absolutely sure not to get any in the inside. Then i proceeded toa sharp razor and soap water. The soap helps the razor glide over the glass. I dont have one scratch now that im done. Tip to others, use a razor holder or put them in some vice grips or something so you have some leverage and power. your fingertips will get very sore without. Anyways, paints all gone, now we have to paint the trim black, next couple days maybe.

I have gone and decided with drilling the tank for the overflow. I realized that i have sinned.:eek: I went for the easy route, going with the siphon overflow, which by my understanding can be problematic, which in this hobby will lead you to more problems. do it right the first time, and youll be ok *SUNSMILE* *celebrate anyway heres the pic, i like 100% better without the blue

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would definitley look at adding some background I have one tank blue and one black it creates depth. also the powerheads look better against a black background than a clear one.......

Looks good though!

Update 1/29/08

Good news. Actually great news. After looking at the 30 we currently have, there were some weird stains and water deposits in the silicone, some wasnt even there, idk how it didnt leak, but we decided not to take our chances, so with plans for a stand already done, we decided to go with a 40 breeder! im pumped, this thing is huge compared to everything else, i love how deep it is too. Guy tried to sell it for 140 with a light at petsmart. Said we could get it without the light, but for the same price.....I begged to differ. We finally got a hold of the manager cuz my dad wasnt about to pay 140 for a 40 gallon, ended up getting it for eighty bucks! which is good considering the 20 gallons were 50 dollars, which means we should have got it for 100. But i do have soem bad news, ish. We arent going to drill the tank. WAIT! before you jump on me, we are installing an overflow, except instead of having a gravity fed tube to the sump. we are going to pump it out of the overflow to the sump, and everything will be the same after that. I figured it wouldn be a problem at all, just have ball valves on the overflow to sump pump and return pump. Any input on that one? i wanted to drill it, but my dad didnt want to drill a brand new tank. and i couldnt change his mind. anyway heres the pic of the tank. comments are welcome!

The pictures dont do it any justice at all. its 3 feet long, 20 inches deep, and 16 inches tall. saweet.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You NEVER want to pump the water out of the tank to the sump. The only way you want water to get to the sump if not drilled is with an overflow powered by a siphon. If you use a pump for the drain and one for the return you stand a very good chance of having a major flood especially if something were to happen to one or the other pump. Or say you have a power failure and one pump fails to restart....it happens.....then you are in trouble. With an overflow siphon it stops when the water doesn't flow into it and starts automatically once the water level in the skimmer box rises. The u tube style is more reliable than the cpr style. I still think the safest is a drilled overflow.

yeah i was checking around on other forums and they said pumping is a big no no. wells thats one off the list. so now im debating between the overflow box and drilling. I want to drill, but the financing(dad) says he doesnt. Ill just have to educate him. ill check out the U-tube style overflows, haven seen those tho. thanks!

Lorna-can you tell me how the u tube is better than the cpr? i just dont now

Last edited:

SaltyDude

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Houston
www.crowleysigns.com
drill the hole..... i had a very similar predicament , with my protien skimmer... i had 2 choices stick it in the tank or i could hang it on the side of the tank....

i chose to get a jig saw and cut out grooves in the lid so it could sit on the side with the lid on.... i'm very happy i went with option 2 verses in the tank...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The u tubes tend to create more suction for the siphon and don't seem to build up air locks...most of the cpr type overflows require a lift pump to keep the siphon going and in a powerfailure you are relying on that air lift to restart the siphon.