29 Gal salty

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a 29 gal. tank that houses 5 goldfish. It is time for them to go to a pond and for me to start over, this time with saltwater. I have read some threads and think i have a pretty good handle on things, but want to be 100% before I go out and by stuff i dont need to. So, here i go:

I am going to use the same emperor 400 filter, that would give me a turn over rate of 13 times per hour. I will remove the bio-wheels so that i dont create to much nitrate.

Live sand for substrate

Two power heads to push water around, are these nessesery do to the huge turn over rate of the emperor.

30-35 pounds of live rock.

Standard 30 watt flouresent bulb for lighting.

I need help in fish, i would liket to have two clown fish that het along(from a fish store that have been raised together, Some shrimp or blue crabs. Any help would be great

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, your off to a good start. What you mentioned is a perfect model of a first marine aquarium. I congradulate you on buying tank raised fish. Two recommendations. First no blue crabs. They will eat fish and live in semi cool waters. Second, replace the powerheads with a skimmer. A seaclone for a tank this small will work wonders.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you keep the stocking density this low, or only add one more fish you won't even need to add a skimmer. It will help though.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You can get by with out a skimmer but i wouldn't. Clownfish are very hearty fish and liverock will help with filtration but if you want to get SOFT coral you will need a 3 - 4 watts per gallon VHO's will work good also a power compact will even work with soft but if you wont HARD coral you will need 7 - 8 watts per gallon. mushroom' s can be in 3 - 4 but you have to keep them near the top. but you realy should get a skimmer and YES you are off to a good start.

skimmer

I have one cos every one else had one. SKIMMER

i have used it and it pulls some putrid stuff from the water. as well as some good stuff?. now you guys that dont have the luxuary as i do, how do you go about replacing all these elements that a protien skimmer takes out?

actually, any info on theses insant ocen packs would be good, it may be some thing i am lacking- this should be a new thread yes?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
new thread? perhaps, but its cool...

PC lights will work great for softies and LPS, and can work for SPS, but for that kind of wattage Metal halides are better. Probably, however, you wont have a nano sps tank...just one of those things not often done.

as far as the good stuff the skimmer pulls out, i dont dose anything to replace...just water changes. the salt mixes are really good about having those goodies in them (i assume that is the instant ocean stuff you speak of Bowdy). if i was doing a tank with more than leathers and zooanthids (i decided to go this route for ease of maintenance when i am out of town, etc) i would dose stuff...generally you buy it in a bottle