29 gal Discus Tank

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't do the brick chips myself, they are in to large chunks and they are pretty rough stuff. The probably arn't poisionous though. I would go the catlitter or flourite route, construction sand mixed with flourite or laterite is oK. I use construction sand with my RTC and some of the oscars. For a great and cheap alternitive you can get shop lites and build them into a hood. You can get more lighting and grow just about any plant you like 3watt per G should grow just about anything out there.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Definitely a no on the brick chips from me. They do contain lime and can change your PH to a disturbing level. My uncle lays brick and he told me they do contain lime. Another down side to this is the sharp edges. And if your food falls to the ground then your fish will go down to get it and it can potentially damage their gills, fins, scales, etc. You get the point. As it could a pleco or any other bottom feeder you get.

Yeah 2-3 watts per gallon should do you good. I like the whole idea of making your own hood because you can alter it and stuff. Like Lynn suggested a shop light fixture would make a good hood. You can also go they way of an all glass hood and just put multiple strip lights. It is not hard to grow plants if you do it right. And no you don't need CO2 and I don't use it personally but it will help your plants grow better. If you have any questions you can always send me a message. Good luck. :D ;D