20G RCS Planted Tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i was worried about that at first, with my daughter pouring something in, but it is on a dresser and she wouldnt be able to reach the top of the tank. and she says she didnt do it...which i trust her to tell me the truth when prodded. at first she blamed the kitten, which wouldnt suprise me at all. lol. but im also home with them all day and she rarely out of my sight in this small place
i added another filter and its clearing up a bit, fish are perky as ever so idk what it could be from

and o ya that would be scary for me to have the tank up there, but theres a lot of tanks that are fine on pressed board and that never made sense to me...

hubby sold his jeep and now car hunting for a junker (he got a jeep for 500 and flipped it for 1800) and extra money goes to tank and stand to put it in dining room next to my desk. then i have to get kids a mini tank cause my daughter cried about me taking tank out of her room...but i got to find one with bubbles...hmm...hubbys been begging me to get a male betta too, as he says my girls are ugly...WHAT!?

have more pictures! just need to upload..got some bunneh shots, but he got red eye from the flash so cant see his handsome blue eyes...sebille means fairy btw. lol. ill try to find baby pictures!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
What gorgeous eyes Sebi has!! I love your rabbits!! They're HUGE!! I'm thinking about setting up a cage (approx 10g) for 2-3 female mice.

And girl to girl here, your so beautiful!! I'm jealous!! XD btw, what happened to your thumb?? Sorry if I'm noisy. :p oh also, I'm with you, female bettas aren't ugly. They're adorable!!

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Nov. 7, 2011.
Day One.

Tank: 20g long w/ versa top lid
Substrate: Miracle Grow Organic (All-purpose) capped with gravel
Lighting: Current 24" Compact Fluorescent 65W. Need to replace bulb.
Filter: For now a whisper 30 running carbon also until tank is settled. Plan to do a sponge filter.

Fish:
3 female bettas
3 platys
3 ghost shrimp
funny how they go in threes...theyll go to another tank once i have it up.
this will be shrimp only tank...minus maybe snails

Plants:
none at the moment..still planning

so far...its dusty :) i kinda like the look of the dirt thats settling on the rocks, looks like the creek bed. this dirt things new to me...so well see how it goes

Where do you get a 65 watt 24" bulb?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
amazon :) its a current-usa bulb and ballast. their expensive but got it for freshwater few years back. but they went outta business from what i hear, but their products can stll be ordered, just dont think theyll come out with more sadly. i am not savvy enough to put together anything...whether it be the wood shoe, plastic kitchen, or DIY lighting. so its worth the $ for me.

thaaaanks....those are old pics so i gained some weight with the pregnancy sadly. and i quit smoking, so i bite my nails and the skin around them until they bleed pretty bad so i wrap them to avoid it. gum doesnt work as well as i thought it would. and i dont have the big boy anymore, fallow was a flemish giant/californian mix. but only 11lbs
and i think 2-3 mice is recomended a 20l? most people use totes i think with a mesh screen top. but i dont do mice or small critters, dont appreciate being bit. lol and i like being able to train my guys. rats are to everywhere cept i had a few boys who i loved. fat turds. ferrets are too hyper and destructive, thought about a skunk, but illegal in kansas. some of the exotic pets we looked at, fennec fox ect, but all require cages and i dont want something that may or may not bite a kid who sticks their fingers in a cage. maybe when i have some land ill get the fun animals.

sent hubby into petco for a pretty female betta since he says mine are ugly...he sends me a pic of a brown striated girl saying shes so pretty...uhm??? no. comes out with 2 angels, a balooon molly he dubbed spot, and 4 guppies. ??? never again. he blamed the toddler. he said i am getting you a bigger tank too! one you can get discus in. what about a 120? i was like uhhhmm....so its in discussion. he sold his 500$ jeep for 1800$ and is now riding a bike to work on days i need my car for laundry or drs appts. so for now im upping wc's and being cranky about having an ugly baloon molly in my tank. and he sits there and says..."ive figured it out...all the purebred fish are ugly, and all the ones i cant have are pretty" lol...

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol I'm so sorry!! My dad tried to surprise me yesterday with a tiger barb. I yelled at him to take it back. If he gets me a 20g I will dedicate it to tiger barbs. Plus, he just threw it in with my neons!!! D=

Parents said no to the mice, but I'm trying to save my money for a bigger tank. My best friend got 2 new females ferrets today, making it 1 male and 3 females in total. They're cute and I'll try and put up some pics.

I'm going to buy a female cambodian betta on saturday. Unfortunately, my river tank project has stopped due to me trying to save up my money for another tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
LOL...my dad did the hobby wit me and my SW tanks actually went to him, but i still buy corals and help with main. but i am so glad he was never the type to bring home random fish!!!

And mice arnt that great...neither are ferrets IMHO. their stupid hyper/destructive/smelly. even cleaning cages daily. i like cuddley things, and though my bun wont tolerate much he at least doesnt run circles all day around me and make me feel crazed! chinchillas are ok if you want a pet that doesnt like being touched or only a scratch on the nose now and then. guinea pigs, meh, def. a lot of personality and crave attention and will still there grinding their teeth (purrng) whle you pet them. but buns are right up with cats. pet them on their terms and ltter box trained and comes to a click, or when you walk into the kitchen he comes running.
im not much of a dog person-but after an awkward instance at the park where my sisters big black dog had a creepy guydriving off fast, i feel more comfortable having one. would like a pat. cavy or genet if we get a house with a yard :) or save up and get an oscar...omg mine was a BUTT! he popped ping pong balls up as people would walk by, broke 2 heaters, would let me rub his head.

cambodian are wild?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
As near as I can tell from reading Cambodians are a color with white to pinkish bodies and colored fins. They are apparently pretty common because when I was at Petsmart last week end, of the roughly 10 females they had left, the majority looked like that and were 99 cents. I am not particularly fond of that color and managed to find one that was dark blue with powder blue fins. I pretty much think that most bettas with fancy colors of any kind are man made and not wild. I do have a male which I believe to be Cambodian because of the color. He has grown to the size of a large mollie. This color thing - learning to describe it - I am finding, is really very difficult.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Well, if you get a picture or two up, we might be able to help. I just found 8 guppy fry and I separated them from the others with a homemade divider. They're not going through so that's good. I'm trading in 8 platy fry for 4 neon tetras tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Oh, I know he is Cambodian. I found a couple of websites with a lot of pictures. They seem to be quite common in the two LFS I have access, too. My Walmart no longer has any, but when they did, there were quite a few. Also crowntails were big. They were all the same price and mixed together. I was looking at a betta forum and someone there even found what is being called plakats mixed in. The fact seems to be they are so hybridized that people are using different terms for both the types and colors and new ones are added all the time.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Plakats are the original wild betta tail type. They have equally varied colors. I like plakats, but I'm getting a red or blue or multi colored veiltail tomorrow.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Oscars have a huge personality!!! LOL, I love em!! And yes they hate heaters to the tune of a few year for me. I always have 3-4 extras because of these guys. I like the rabbits!! Very nice.
I do miss my oscar sometimes, he was half dead and finless when i gothim, pretty beaten up. but he sure was one of the good ones, with all that personality. love my bun, but would like another giant someday. when we have a house i may import a conti or two and breed them for...well not appropriate for forum talk. theyd get their own little room and all lol. 20-25lbs a peice :) if i got a bed snuggler outta ojne of those the dog would have to fight for his spot

i like the plakats, but if i have to have a male then hed have his own tank, and so hubby wont allow plakats...he wants crowntail/halfmoon/ect...not the common ones (dk name) i have not looked to much into betta varities as i just find a pretty girl and bring her home, but i look at boys thinking if i find one that calls my name ill bring him home...need a nightlite for girls room. what better thing than a lil tank? :)

i am debating whether to pick up the 36g from petsmart while its on sale. called local pet store and their discountinueing it...sooo blah. i only have room for a 30" tank right now. hubbys using the whole tax return to get his car back from his parents -.- whch i am ok with, just kinda thought maybe hed think of the girls and ask if they need anything before he made this decision. buuut...thats why i have a hidey drawer for $. :) im horrid i know.

i think i owe people pictures.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Ive only had one angel before my two current. I'm a koi fan. And i like them, but perfer discus but i just cant commit to them right now. Ignore typos on kindle. And hubby is bad wit $$ so I always keep some in the safe. He wouldn't think to look there! *rolls eyes* I'm broaching tank subject tonight again so well see. He ignores me and acts like he cant hear me Lol to avoid telling me no.

Bun got mad...ran over and jumped on couch to bite my phone charger in half...jolly. will post pica later. Child's playing puzzles on comp atm and baby is screaming nonsense at the dog

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol, hectic life it sounds like. I'm an only child and so people think that I'm weird because I talk to my pets, including fish. I don't say "Oh, who's so pretty?? You are, yes you are!!" I do full out conversations, most including my personal life. My fish don't care, although my Kuhlis like to listen. My dog gives me a shoulder (er, rather whole body) to lean on, and my cats like to complain and tell me to shut up. Then my beardie reminds me of your husband. He closes his eyes, audibly sighs and acts like I'm not there. Lol, my mental well-being worries people. :p

I moved Sai, my Betta, to my 2.5 after him guarding his new bubble nest spot and the other fish refusing to leave it alone. Now, he has peace and is constructing a cute little bubble nest in the corner. I would put in a Styrofoam cup, but the tank hood won't let me. Besides, he's doing pretty well on his own. Also, at the store, he was red with a black tip to his tail, and he kept to himself. Now, blueish-purple streaks are appearing on his fins. He's gorgeous and he likes to lay on the Java Moss. I kept my oldest Guppy fry in there, hoping that everything would be ok. She is 2 weeks old (about, oh idk, 2 weeks older than the others XD), but she's still to small to be safe. He's following her now, but he tends to swim past her. She freaks out a little, but he's not bothering her. I love his personality!!! I might have to go get another....I haz room........ :p

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
omg are our hubbys related???
i talk to the dog and if hes ina good mood hell smack me in the face. lol...cats i dont bother with. bun ill just say bunbunbun to get him to come take treats. not much for conversation with them

out of all the male bettas ive ever had ive never had any make a nest! i never got why...and they always seem to color up a lot put in better conditions

not sure whatsd going on here!

i didnt get the aftermath of his ear being smacked...he chased her off the blanket for the rest of the day

no bunny was hurt in the making of this picture