20G RCS Planted Tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
picked up 10 long-finned serpaes and an oto and some pest snails to help clean up. new bulb is helping and algae is going down. my bettas, beleive, killed the snails though so now i have a bunch of empty snails lying around ha.
the GBR laid eggs on the glass, but idt they got fertilized and someone ate them.

we moved both kids into the master room (a 15x13 room) and us into the small room (9x11). its tight but comfy and we havnt moved the tank yet outta the master room so its currently being neglected a bit because i dont want my toddler see me digging in it then think she can lol

found some banded kuhliis and plan on picking some up soon-when i save up the money. also debating about getting a bigger tank, since the tank will be in the living room, jumping up to a 29g while petco is having their sale

my daughter turned 6 months old now too! its so nice to walk into a room and be greeted by a screech...opps! here i thought it was funny at first!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
am slowly becoming a fan...slowly. they nip at my bettas fins though, they were just getting all healed up again. but they move a lot so the kids enjoy watching them!
and the dog...stinks. lol. were working on his food allergies and trying new foods, as pretty as he is, the smell kills it! working on teaching him to smile....lol

I always LOVED calicos and was so happy that my daughter decided to get one (promised a kitty for her bday :) and never had long haired cats growing up but idk if ill have have a shorthaired cat again
they were busy today

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Nice fuzz!! Love the animals and your kids are adorable. All you need now is a picture if your bunneh!! xD

When my dog gets dirty he smells like nachos. I hate nachos!! xD

Last edited:

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
ugh...he smells like rottendog after a bath no matter what, but hes got bad allergies. if he goes a week without a bath (baking soda and water to avoid allergy kick from shampoo) then he smells like a bad infection. We are trying taste of the wild after trying canidae PAWS, so hopefully this will get him and we dont have to try natural balance which is a lot more expensive.

and i will get bun pictures...hes not so photogenic as he used to be..hes a fat turd now and hes sleeps under the train table in girls room mostly so i dont see him a bunch

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol!! My bearded dragon likes to hitch rides on my dog when his fur is long enough. My dog has a hypoallergenic shampoo called Top Performance. It smells like oatmeal and he loves it!! It gets his fur really soft and fluffy.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you google "smelly dog" - which you may already have done, you will find some ideas. One I saw when I quickly looked was one that smelled like "fritos" which they aptly called "Frito Feet" caused by yeast.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
o_O ?? Lol!! Frito feet... xD I like it when my dog smells like oatmeal right ater a bath. Plus, he doesn't move around much. Sure, he's only a 15 pound dog so I can handle him, but he just stares at me like "why??" xD

Here's Max, my Bichon Frise.

My cat Harley stealing one of my playing cards.

My cat Whisper (Harley's sister).

And last, but not least, my Bearded Dragon, Edgar.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks!! It's the dog that smells like nachos, the cat that steals my shoelaces (literally learned to untie my shoelaces from my shoes without having the shoe move a lot from its initial position), the cat that lays around and does nothing (hence her fatness xD), and the lizard that hitches rides on my dog and likes to climb on my head. xD I love my pets!!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
smells bad due to allergies, which in pure bred dogs is pretty common, but bichons, s that what he is? any dog that is bred to not shed s more apt to have allergies. and washing with baking soda is cheaper than dog shampoo and no chemicals to worry about

love your beardie, i wouldnt mind having one when babys get older, but would perfer a tegu. i got really close to one that i had in my pocket for a week and hand fed and then he was sold without me knowing, or else i probably would have gotten him. they can be nasty mean though

fish are all well, need to make a new DIY CO2, but been preoccupied with keeping things clean here. its funny ill have everything cleaned, then hubby gets home from work and i wake up to wrappers and trash on the ground and dshes in the sink. i do not tolerate it well.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yeah, he's a Bichon Frise. He's adorable!! :) I'll try the baking soda though.

I've had Edgar for about 8 years now. He's a lovely little thing and only bit me once when he was a year old. I got him to let go and started screaming at him. He hissed at me, but never bit me again lol. I'm definitely getting another after he passes away, which I'm guessing won't be anytime soon. :)

Sorry about the mess. I'll fix anything but the dishes. I hate doing that. ;)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
LOL...sounds like Edgar has quit the personality.
and dishes arnt so bad...ran the dishwasher and then filled up the counter space with bottles and pots and pans...blah. just sucks when your balancing kids! i think i hate putting dishes away more than i dislike washing them...

well yesterday idk what happened...turned the light on on the tank and then walked by a bit later and tank was a bit cloudy. throughout the day it got cloudier too and no ammonia spike though, nothing dead, changed the filter pad and washed the sponge in a bucket of water after a 50% wc and things are clearing up now...not sure what that was all about meaning params are still good, but well see. gonna do another 50% today...needa get tank outta the girls room but needs stand to do that first.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol, yeah, Edgar also likes to hitch rides on my dog when his fur is long. :D

Idk what could've happened since there was no ammonia spike and nothing dead. Anything new?? Even new food??

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
lol their pretty calm lizards, im sure more tolerable than some of them too. ive seen birds do it too, kinda neat. i cant get kodi to sit still to put aby on his back though! so idk if id try a lizard haha.

no new food, no new anything really. havnt even had my hands in there digging around. and its stll a bit murky after both water changes...im wondering if a certain red headed child added something to the tank. really need to get the tank outta their room, but its on a dresser and i need a stand to put it in the living room $$ lol so theyll have to suck it up, i was lame and taped the lid down

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I was wondering that myself - if your oldest had "fed the fish". Do you shop the thrift stores? An ordinary dresser might be too high for a tank - you need to be able to reach in, of course, but I have a hexagon end table that is very sturdy and worked for a bow front tank as if it was made for it. Dressers are usually pretty sturdy and sometimes an option, but I had an almost disastrous incident when my kids were young. They were old enough to start to figure things out, the TV was on top of a little higher than normal dresser, they opened the drawers like a ladder and attempted to climb up. I no longer remember what happened to the TV but the culprit kid survived when the whole thing fell forward.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Wow, thyra. I'm glad that no one was hurt.

I have all of my tanks on dressers...kinda. I have a 10g on my nightstand, my 2.5g on my hope chest, my 55g on a stand, and two 10g (that used to be on a dresser) are on my homemade shelf that me and my dad built. It took an hour of work (including moving the tanks) and $10. Here's a picture.

2012-01-26 15.21.49.jpg

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
It looks like a good arrangement depending on what sort of brackets you used and how they are in the wall. You got about 200# up there. I would be plenty careful about putting any additional weight on the structure any time you work on the tanks. For what its worth, I have an 8 ft 2" thick shelf with vinyl records - which might weigh that much - and it has stayed put for probably 30 years. I am the builder in our family and one of the things I've done on shelves is to run a horizontal strip against the wall to also rest the shelf on - That way I can hit every stud and it keeps things level side to side - you still need to watch front to back if its really heavy, although good triangular brackets are wonderful!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yup. I've had this set up for about 3 months now. I worried for the first month that it would fall, but I learned to trust my dad's mechanical skills and I'm confident that it will hold. I have the top shelf with my tanks, the lower shelf with the fish food, and then I have my radio that's OLD. But it works great!! It was when Bose first came out and the speakers are worth at least $300 each. I really don't care that there's all of those cords either. They go to my hope chest (in front of my bed) and under my bed to the other side of my room where the Dwarf Gourami tank is. It was great because I can't fit under my bed. So, I attached the cords to my dogs collar and told him to go to the other side. He did this willingly and was happy to get a slice of cheese as a reward. Haha!!