20 gallon tank and discus?

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
It is General Hardness, I want a pair and want to try and breed them. I have been looking for breeders in my area but had no luck. If i cant find a pair is it ok to keep one with other fish that share the same water parameters, Such as rams and cardinals. I have heard it is not good to keep a discus by itself, is this true. Would I have to keep the tank bare because I already baught the stuff for in the tank and I really dont like the look of a bare tank unless I did it just for the youth of the fish.

Oct 22, 2002
I have this really good place that has like 1000 gallon discus tank. They ship and they have a website. www.trilbytropiclas.com. They ship and the fish they have there are beautiful i dont know if u can get a mated pair but hey atleast u can find some good discus. They have a real good selection and You can buy products, other fish there. I think they have a special going on, if u buy over 15.00 dollars then u get a free 100 ml flake food. Hope you get ur discus. Good Luck

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Thanks, they have some nice colors but I have had this bad feeling about buying fish online. I want to personally see and inspect each fish, especialy with such fragile and expensive fish. Ill continue to look in my area though. Thanks again.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Discus are fine with other fish such as rams and cardinals! Sorry I can not help out with the breeders. Good Luck!

O, wait! Maybe I can help. Check out www.simplydiscus.com

About the website sabre! My personal opinion is that the pictures look terrible. The pics from the breeders (close up ones) look great but the pics of discus in the tanks are not good at all. Maybe its the pic itself/camera or the discus are not that great. Like titan says, best to actually see them yourself or buy from a reputable breeder from simplydiscus.

Last edited:

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Thanks, I subscribed to there forum, Im going to ask around in there breeders section. The pictures on that site werent that great and most sites put there best looking fish up, not the one youll get. Im goin to my lfs today just to get an idea on some stuff.

Gnome

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Shadow Moses Island
titan,
if you still haven't found any breeder or mated pair discus, Maybe aquabid may help you, I get mine at www.aquabid.com, from discman, it was at the beggining of the year 2003 so he put a lot of mated pair discus for sale cause he was getting a new discuses, it was not too bad I bought it like for $225(including shipping overnight), also they still in about less than a year discus so they're still young, he said they breed 2 times already before I bought them and they laid eggs around 100-150 eggs if you want to see pics it is here http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4930 pretty nice discus, also there is one breeder in aquabid that sell mated pair and will deliver for free if you buy mated pair, but the mated pair it self is already expensive, but probably the quality is better than mine check for hepdiscuscenter, his mated pair price is between $250-$600! well depends on the strain and quality of the discus, I know that some member at simply discus get her/his mated pair at hepdiscuscenter. hth
Gnome.

Last edited:

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
There were no auctions up from discman but herpdiscuscenter had alot up. His fish are beutiful. I like how you are actually bidding on the fish in the picture. Im gonna have to save up to get a breeding pair but I really want one. I like all the tankmates for discus expecially rams. I have heard discus do not like to be alone and are a shoaling fish but has anybody succesfully kept ONE discus with other fish with similar water paremeters. If I had a breeding pair would I have to have a bare bottom tank? Supposably discus are easier to breed in a bare tank.

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Im probably not going to get a breeding pair but tell me if this setup would be ok.
Tank=20 gallon Hexagonal Flatback long tank

Filter=Amiracle Sl5 hang on Wet/Dry filter(made for up to 50 gallons): has built on protein skimmer.

lighting=double perfecto 20 watts

heater=Marineland VisiTherm Deluxe(150 watt)

substrate= Estes ultrastone(its real small)

plants= plastic(plants from the amazon river basin)

Other decor= A centerpiece of Driftwood

Inhabitants=1 Discus(probably some kind of leopard), 2 pairs of German blue rams, 7 or so Cardinal tetras(how many should I put?),3 peppered cory's(or some other type of bottom feeder,how are kuhli loaches?)
and thats it.
If you have any suggestions feel free to respond.
thanks

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
At least a year! However, I replaced it with 'better' looking discus as it was a runt to begin with. It was healthy and lively. A thing to remember is that discus have personalities so it depends on the discus also! I dont think it will be a problem once it is comfortable with its environment and you feed it quality foods!

-Joe-

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.geocities.com
hey titan, ive got a website all about discus - there's some links on there for a whole bunch of discus breeders - it says you live in PA, I'm in MD - what part of PA are you from - i know 2 good breeders around here but its a 40 min drive North from my house. check it out http://www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium I havent updated in a while but its still got the info - dont know if the breeders are still around in PA - might want to call them

Titan_113

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Thats what Im going to do. I am going to have one discus and various other fish from that region. Thanks for the link joe, it seems Joe Rutkowski is ill and closed down his breedery, thats at least what I read on simplydiscus.com. (its weird that my grandfathers name is Joe Rutkowski but is not related to this guy in any way.) I live about an hour away from philly to the north-west on the south-east part of pennsylvania.
thanks