20 gallon Tank (24X12X16) in for discus ?

spyware

New Fish
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks guys for your help.

My question now is that would it make sence to have maybe 4 or 6 small size about one and a half inche discus now with this small tank, and then ended up with maybe two adult discus or by that time I may try to get a bigger tank ?

How fast do discus really grow into adult ?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
Spyware, I would say try to get atleast a 25 gallon.

You, have enough room for a pair there. Shaunna

On the other hand discus need very pacific water conditions. Discus come from water that is very low in pH and very warm.

10 gallons of water is recommended for one.

Last edited:

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I have FOUR Discus in a 100 gal!!!!! The other fish with them are 6 corycats, and 4 skirts. And at that I wouldnt put anymore Discus in there with them...they are a close "herd" and I like the fact that they have so much room to cruise and explore in. I cant remember specificly how many gal. per Discus when I was researching them but I believe it is a minimum of 5gal. per fish, ideally 10gal... and that was the general opinion.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
No, 10 gallons isn't recommended for one. You can't stick a discus in a 10 gallon... it just isn't enough room. What you mean is that you need to plan 10g of tank space for each discus... so in a 50g, you can have 5 discus.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
A minimum of 29 gallons for a pair. Therefore, the smallest tank for a pair of discus is a 29 gallon tank which has no other fish in it. These fish require about the same space as a salt water fish. One because they get big, but second because they are sensitive to nitrates.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Commercial breeders commonly use less than 29 gals per pair. However they also cheat by commonly doing very large daily water changes.