20 Gallon Figure 8 Puffer build thread

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feed my pea puffer thawed individual bloodworms with tweezers. He now races to the front the minute I'm there. You could also condition it to associate your presence with food by knocking gently on the glass before feeding, or any other regular stimulus like that . . . .

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I know there is a difference in the amount of salt they like in there water although they are both brackish puffers. Figure 8's like Low-end brackish water (SG = 1.005 - 1.008) while the Green spotted puffer likes High brackish to marine salinity. I don't know if that will ever be a problem though.

As you feed your puffer it will become more familiar with you and associate you with food. Puffers are pigs so food buys love! I feed my DP mostly blood worms and snails (which are a treat).

Mel in Tx

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2011
Burleson Tx
Hello, I'm new here and have enjoyed reading your posts. I always told myself that if anything ever happened to my 6 inch Green Terror Cichlid that I would get a puffer or two. Well I came home one day and he was dead. (went on vacation and my in-laws "forgot" to feed him) I have a 55 gal w/ a fluval 304 filter. I'm excited to set my tank up for a little pip of my own. :) So thank you for all your posts and pics. I will be adding mine as I go.

Dec 10, 2010
Fort St. John, BC Canada
Agreed Fish. When I inquired about green spotted puffers at my LFS the owner told me that she has two at home in a 20gallon tank in freshwater and that I could feed it just feeder fish and flakes. Like wow, scary stuff!! Definitely if you are going to get one research research research so that you are prepared for all the extra care these little guys need before buying!

Jun 20, 2011
Midwest, U.S.A.
Hello, thanks for the info! I am new to this site. I have previously kept cichlid & community tanks years ago. I have obtained a 55 gallon tank recently & am thinking of going with Figure 8s. My tank has only been set up for 3 days, so I have some time to decide. The tank & filter I bought used & so the filter media was not changed, hoping that will speed up the cycling process.

Are there any other types of fish that can be successfully housed with them? Mollies maybe? How many puffers do you recommend with a 55 gallon? I have a Fluval 304 canister filter. Thanks for the info!

Jun 20, 2011
Midwest, U.S.A.
My apologies, I'm a newbie to this site & didn't realize there were several pages to click through before I posted my questions. I see some of the other fish you guys are keeping with the Puffers! That's awesome, I was starting to think they would have to be alone. I would like to have at least a little variety in my tank. :)

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
There isn't always the option of variety with puffers. It really depends on the personality of the puffer.
In general puffers do better in a species only tank.

A really good puffer site to check out is: The Puffer Forum

In your early post you were looking for recommendations on puffers in terms of what is appropriate for your tank.
Did you still want help with that? Are you wanting a freshwater, brackish or saltwater tank?

Last edited: