2.5g new additions

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Well it's been a while... My nano-reef was the only tank to survive the attack of the b!+ch (Gotta love nice breakups eh?). Kept me company for 6 weeks while I was cooped up in a hotel getting my knee back into shape... So needless to say it got a little extra TLC

Didn't have a camera while I was there, but I borrowed one the evening before the move to calgary - but the tank was already prepped for moving... So you won't get a whole tank shot (see that tease thread in the SW section a while back - but I've added a bunch of LR since).

Hopefully santa will bring me a digital camera (Nikon D1H or if I've been REALLY good - a D70 please!). So I can do some whole tank updates...

Details for those who care:
2.5g, aquatech 5-15 HOB filter (no media), 2 - 20w 50/50 lights, cold cathode moon light, 50w heater. Today with air driven auto top-off.
Residents:
1 Red headed goby
2 Scarlet hermit crabs
1 Nassarius snail
Corals:
Clove polyps
Ricordea
Mushroom
Candy cane

Here's GoGo - red headed goby, bad picture yes - he wasn't cooperating at all.

Attachments

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Honestly; if you don't have time to at least look at the tank daily - you might have problems... (But no that's not a recommendation for anyone wanting to go SW to start with a 2.5)

Daily top offs are a must - roughly 500ml (2cups) of water evaporates every day, and can drive the SG up very quickly. Thats the reason I went to the air driven auto top-off.

Nitrates rise rather quickly - have to change about 1g (2 w/c's - 2L each) of water per week to keep them down in the 5ppm range. Such a hardship - I know... Try mixing saltwater in a pop bottle sometime and you too can go insane trying to get 1.024 :)

Hoping to get the new sump and flow systems installed soon - so I can get some macro algae growing out of the main tank. That should help with the nitrates.

Andy

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
oh cool! :) glad you had at least this one to keep you company.

Sounds like a lot of work, but at least you have the time and can focus on just one tank right now eh?

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Well, the old sump was 1.25g, the new sump is likely going to be much bigger. I'll have an area roughly 8x6x14 which translates to 2.9g - realistically with equipment, rubble and I'm pondering a DSB in there - it'll probably hold another 1.5g of water.

Yes they make 1g buckets - not quite as bad as mixing a half gallon at a time, but still no fun.

Andy

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
:D

Another teaser shot... This was taken just before heading to a frag swap / meeting... Yup thats a brown digitata you see - it's doing great, put on a 1/4" in the 3 weeks I've had it - polyps always are out.

Added last night 4 zoos, a new candycane (the one on top of the pile I'm thinking has passed on), GSP, white star polyps, Orange digitata, and green digitata

Attachments

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
3 of the 4 monti's are doing great - the last - well it doesn't have a real good place to reside - thus it's been largely lying on the substrate... And is dieing out a bit.

No new pictures, but I am working on it...

Andy