16 molly fry...

Subtle

New Fish
Sep 14, 2011
So, I was given a 50 gallon breeder tank about 1 1/2 months ago, and I have since set it up pretty nice imo. So, I was moving a decoration when I found a tiny little fish (fry) swimming around... I was like "holy sh**" I was no where near expecting this... So I got out my super small holding tank (1/2 or 1/4 gallon), since I had already knew they had to be separated. And kept on doing what I was doing, until I found another, and another and more and more and more.... 13 to be precise... So I ran to the store and got a net breeder... and then put them into that. They have been in it for about 1-1 1/2 weeks. I have been feeding them 4 times a day, as I was told they needed plenty of food. I have another 10 gallon tank that I was using for a injured fish, but he's all better now, could I take him out and put them into there. Also please know that they are bigger than the filter and I don't think they would be "sucked into it". ANY advice would be great! Thanks.

Also about 4-5 days after I found the 13 I found 3 more... They however are not looking so great. Anything comments on that would be great too!

I have included pictures, sorry the quality isn't the best.

Thanks.

DSC_2880.jpg DSC_3117.jpg DSC_3117.jpg DSC_3121.jpg

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
They certainly look big enough so they wouldn't have to be separated. I don't separate the fry and although they don't all survive, if there is some real or plastic grass a few of them will make it. After all, what are you going to do with 13 more mollies? And that is only the beginning. Many of the LFS won't take fish from private breeders.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I don't do anything special either. My guppies are ironically the ones with the highest survival rates (and the smallest fry of all the live-bearers in that tank). I've had to beg to give away my fry and sub-adult over-stock from in-tank breeding. One lfs actually took some in trade, but only b/c i go there often and they know the care that goes into my fish. As long as you have enough small hiding spaces for them, most should survive to adulthood. And a50g breeder should have enough space for the fry to avoid adults until they are large enough to avoid being eaten. Mine are in a 29g and have decent survival rates with currently 25 adult fish in the same tank. My only problem came when I was sick for 2 months and not home enough to care for them the way they were used to. I lost many of the fry, and a few adults. About 15 fry have grown up since then, and there are several fresh fry there as of 3 days ago. If you are concerned about survival, can commit to caring for them once they are grown, and want to keep then seperate, then keep them in the net breeder till they are about 1/4", and they should be good to free swim are that.
Keep us posted!
:) c

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I have a 10 gallon full of Platy fry and their parents and truthfully, at the rate they're going, I wish that more would die. DX I know that it sounds horrible, but they don't grow fast enough. XD I'm just going to get rid of my male platy, because for some reason the females aren't getting pregnant anymore, cuz he keeps harassing my females. I'm gonna start working on Guppies or Mollies (either sailfin or balloon). My LFS manager seems to like my Platy combinations, which are new to his store. They're a real hit and the customers love them. I may be 15 but I'm already starting to go into business. *BOUNCINGS