125 gallon African Cichlid

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Heh, yep I was holding Michael whilst filming that video. I'm pretty lucky with my supply of rocks. Most of those came from lake Erie which is just 50 feet from my front door. Lots of granite. And then the cichlids for the most part came from a cichlid specialty store that has a selection that is second to none IMO. Thanks for the compliments Joel.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
beautiful tank. wish i could get one that size. and btw that is a beautiful brichardi and looks big. i've got a breeding pair in a 30 gallon and well they breed. i got about 50 babies in the tank now. only issue is i can hardly give them away. the tend to go to my sunfish as feeders and my lfs will do the same for their oscers and such cause thay can't sell them lol. and it is a good looking tank. also i may have fished around the rocks u got in the tank lol. i've caught alot of small mouths and walleyes out of that lake from cleveland to port clinton and catabwa or however it's spelled lol.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Oh cool. Yeah its a great area for fishing. A freind of mine recently caught, and had to throw back what he claims was a 10+ foot angler fish. I bust his chops though because he doesn't have any photos of his 'big fish'.

That brichardi is one of the oldest ones, along with the red zebra who we call "Biff". I thought it was full grown in the 70 gallon but it def. got bigger sinced we switch tanks. Thanks for the compliments.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Heh, yep I was holding Michael whilst filming that video. I'm pretty lucky with my supply of rocks. Most of those came from lake Erie which is just 50 feet from my front door. Lots of granite. And then the cichlids for the most part came from a cichlid specialty store that has a selection that is second to none IMO. Thanks for the compliments Joel.
Oh yes. It's pretty much baby occupying one arm for a while. Our youngest is 20months already.

Wow you are CLOSE to the lake. I'm a good 10-12 miles from the shoreline, out in hilly ski country. I do have Cazenovia Creek across the street (and thru the woods a bit) from my house that has a great assortment of rocks. That's where I get mine.

I've got to research more LFSs in my area. One is close and he does have lots of cichlids. There is another sort-of locally owned franchise store in my area too. Pet Supplies Plus. Not that great a fish selection, but nice clean smaller stores, nice staff, etc. All, in I've got those three big places and one small LFS.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
This cichlid store is truly amazing. When you get into cichlids you get into this "I want the coolest, rarest cichlid" mode and this guy has em all. He breeds most of them too. He had Emporer cichlids which are africans that get like two feet. I recently saw them one this documentary called "Jewels of the Rift" where they defended there nest from some sort of huge sea turtle. It was awsome. I pretty much have stopped going anywhere else for fish. I would love to drop a plug for him, but I'm not sure what the forum rules are about that.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
if it wasn't about an 8 hour drive there i would love to go see what he has. my lfs has about 40 tanks of africans which for here is the biggest selection and they get in the common ones. but the rarer ones are kinda hit and miss and with prices they don't sell very well. i was their only supplier of the electric blue peacocks but m 55 got filled with them and i sold all i had and got some more labs and for the first time flame tails. i missed the labs i had that my catfish ate. he grew a little faster then expected and then once he started eating the fish in the tank he realy grew lol. i've never had flame tails before so i think i might breed them since i've never seen them at any lfs around here. got them at a swap meet. i kinda go through phases if u can't tell lol.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well I know he ships, and makes a pretty big deal about shipping standards. If you want I can PM you a link to his website. He keeps it updated. Let me know.