125 gal repair

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
I have a 125, (72X18) the plastic on the top is in bad shape, and it does not have a center brace, makes finding good hoods hard. Anyone know if i can buy a new one to replace the old on and any info on installing the new one?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Are you sure this tank is meant to hole fish and not a reptile tank? I am not an expert but 72inchs without a center brace seems like water would put a lot of strain on that panel.

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
now that i did some checking into it i think it is a reptiles, the guy i bought it from had fish in it and i have had fish in it for about 2 yrs, kinda making me a little nervous now.... lol

bmill00

Small Fish
Dec 20, 2008
Lyons, ohio
i started taking the old top frame off the tank and i think it appers to be a homeaide tank. the alingment of the glass isnt perfect does anyone know what the normal thickness of a 72 inch tank should be this one is 1/2inch glass

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Once again, I can't speak for the thickness of the glass, but I do know that glass does bend some with strain and even if it doesn't break, wouldn't that put a lot of strain on the corner seams? There are different types of glass and 1/2 inch might be strong enough in itself if everything else holds together, but I have also heard that glass gets more brittle with age. I think that might be true because I once tried my hand at cutting some old glass panels I had and all I ended up with were shards, lol