10g saltwater tank!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can just cycle your tank with live rock.  You do not need to cycle with any fish.

Check out the link.

http://reefcentral.com/library/starting_with_Marines.htm

You can get live rock at www.gulf-view.com, www.exoticfish.com, www.ffexpress.com

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
You should use dechlorinator (tap water conditioner) and some form of sea salt mix. Instant Ocean is a pretty good brand, and Red Sea also makes one.  The ammount of salt you add depends upon the salinity you wish to achieve. Ask your LFS where you plan to purchase your fish what their salinity is, and match that. You can check your salinities by using a device known as a hydrometer. Red Sea makes one called the SeaTest, and that's what I like to use (when I can't get your hands on a $200 hand held refractomer. Dude, refractometers rock! I should save up and buy me a refractomer just to say I own one).

As for food, variety is the key. I like Ocean Nutrition brands, but there are several others. I try to stay away from flakes, and use that only for quick snacky feedings. Roman lettus and zuchni are a big hit with herbavores, while most carnivores like big fleshy hunks of squid. What you feed is really dependant upon what fish you have, and saltwater fish must have their diet catered to, or else they suffer nutritional defficies really easy.

Some people don't get to check the board but maybe once or twice a day, or week even, so if you don't get an immediate reply, don't panic. It's not that anybody is ignoring you, just that life happens, and it wasn't in front of the computer at that time.
~~Colesea

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Let your tank cycle with a raw shrimp first before you add any fish.  Or if you have a bunch of live rock, you can just cycle with just rocks and nothing else.

The food you feed your fish is going to be different depending on what you want to get.  Some fish are algae eaters while others have a diet more on the meaty side.

jf228

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I live in kendall, south miami know where that is? I know a couple of places, too. There's Strictly Fish, Amazing Aquariums, Aquarium Depot, and the best one, Exotic Aquariums.

jf228

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I went to the LFS today and asked about the 10g fish tank, but they said that the smaller the tank, the shorter the fish's life is. They also said that a saltwater fish would live in a 10g tank for about a week or 2. So I don't know, I'm confused!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you do your research right, the tank can work.  That's why there is such a thing as nanoreefs.

You have to select one fish or two fish that doesn't exceed more than 3 inches when full adults.  You have to chose fish that aren't messy eaters because you don't have a skimmer.  You have to do regular water changes to keep nitrates/ammonia down.

Please list the items or equipment that you plan to buy for your setup and the livestock that you have research and are interested in.  I can tell you no or yes to your suggestions.  You don't have to walk into a LFS and get a quick answer like that.  If you had all the info ready you would have refuted what he said.  A 10 gallon is not for the beginner but it can be done.

jf228

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok, I plan to get some live rock, around 10lb-15lb. A aqua-clear power filter, the sand you said from Home Depot, a small powerhead for the circulation, and I'd like to get a damsel or 2, and a clown or 2 (max, 4 fish). Can I put about 4 fish and oh ya a cleaner shrimp. Do I need it?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You are pushing it with 4 fish.  You should in my experience put only 2 small percula clowns or 1-2 small damsels.  Anymore, then you will see fish dying before your eyes.  A 10 gallon is very small for a marine tank.

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I know where your at now JF228. I've only been to Aquarium Depot in the Town & Country Mall area once. They have the biggest lion fishes I have ever seen at the back of the store! Seems pretty ok. Exotic Aquariums on Bird Road seems better as far as supplies and staff. Only been to them once though. I really only know the guys at Fish's Paradise on Hallandale. As a matter of fact, he has a small All-Glass Bowfront 7 gallon salt water tank on display for sale. It consists of a live sand, live rock, 1 small clown fish, 1 anemone, & 1 goby. Its neatly setup and its been running for awhile now. I haven't seen any problems with it either. The only changes made are when they sell one of the animals out of it for a customer. Other than that, it always consists of the same fish setup. It has a small whisper power filter at the rear also for circulation. He sell all the items needed, the salt water, sand, & the rocks. I'll probably be there this weekend to setup an Eclipse 6 system the same way.  ;)

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Watch doing a saltwater tank in an Eclipse system. Those biowheels which are so wonderful for freshwater tanks are giant nitrate generators in a saltwater tank. I thought of doing the same thing once, but after learning about how harmful nitrates are in a saltwater tank, I decided against it. If you're gonna do that though, I would take out the biowheel.

In which case, if you're gonna take out the biowheel, might as well buy a ten gallon tank and Whisper ten for the same price<G>.
~~Colesea

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Who is everybody?

What do you want your live rocks to do?  Grow some corraline algae?  Maybe additional lights might help in terms of some nice purple algae growth but this is a fish only system.  Live rock will survive even without life.  Live rock in it's basic description just means that you have live bacterial growth that helps in denitrification.