100 - 150 neons in a 55 gallon?

Apr 14, 2005
I recently got a 55-gallon tank that only has four neon tetras and an 8" common pleco as its residents. I asked one of the fish guys at my LFS how many neons I could put in there maximum, and he told me I could probably put around 100 to 150. Is that right? It seems like an awful lot of fish for a 55 gallon.

I was also thinking about putting diamond tetras in there, I have a diamond tetra in my 10 gallon that is currently alone. About how many of those could I put in there with the neons?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Ironic you should ask that question as I remember a few weeks ago telling somebody that they could do that very thing. You may think this sounds like a LOT of fish for a 55 gallon tank, because we have all heard about the rule of thumb that you shoul dhave no more than one inch of adult fish per gallon of water in your tank. The 1"/gallon rule is based on an average 1" long fish that produces an average amount of waste. Consider a 2" long neon tetra, a 2" long cichlid, a 2" long goldfish, and a 2" long kuhli loach. Obviously these 3 fish are not going to produce the same amount of waste. The 2" cichlid and the 2" long goldfish will produce more waste than the 2" neon and the 2" kuhli will. Considering neon tetras are about the smallest fish (low bioload) you can find, it is safe to ge beyond the 1"/gallon rule with neons. I have seen tanks with neons only that had well over 1"/gallon and all was fine. Be careful though, as with bigger fish, you need to consider they may produce enough waste so that you should stock them at say 1/2" per gallon.

With adequate filtration, live plants, and sufficient water chagnes you can bend the 1"/gallon rule. I do. But the important thing to keep in mind when bending the rule is what is your water quality like.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
The good thing is you could probably find a wholesaler and order a box of them, that many, for cheap.

Not sure if i'd go 150....i'd go 50 at most personally and see how it goes and what it looks like. Then step on from there.

Oh and i'd stock with cardinals as neons can be kinda non hardy and have neon tetra disease. Not to mention cardinals have a lot more color.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with Cman's suggestion to start with 50 (or less) and see how you like the look of the tank.

As far as your 10G goes do you mean how many diamond tetras you could put in the 10 with neons...or in the 55? If you mean the 55, I think I'd get a good school of the diamonds and a good school of the cardinals (neons) to balance things out. Maybe 15 diamonds and 30 cardinals? Dont forget your cleanup crew and get a bristlenose pleco or somethin. If you mean the 10G then I'd probably just pick one or the other type.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oh yeah, if you're reasonably good with water changes you can pile them in - they have very little bioload. No kidding. 100 would be stable, though I'd probably get 50 and some other other biotope similar fish.
I know some people who keep cardinals with their discus who don't even bother counting the tetras (rather like inverts in a reef)