10 gallon plant suggestion?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
the problem with the eclipse systems, is the lights are built at the front of the tank. therefore, the back of the tank doesn't get that much light.

thanks for the suggestions. i've removed one of the bulbs to bring it backdown to about 1.8watts/gallon. maybe i'll replace it with a blue light or something.

i'll be writing down your suggestions and taking them to my lfs to see.

thanks!

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
Depending on what conditions your setup provides, I would suggest:
(foreground)
glossostigma
dwarf hairgrass
riccia
anubias nana
crypt. petchii or crypt. willisii
java moss (of course)

(background)
alternanthera reinekii
hygro. difformis (can be used as midground, but space is so limited in a 10g)
heteranthera zosterifolia (I just added this 2 days ago to replace my difformis)
rotalla indica
rotalla wallicii
rotalla macandra (never tried it but it would look great in any aquarium)

Just to name a few..
Oh... and there's this really nice looking deep red plant that Cathy H has in her aquarium... not in the one with the big driftwood, but the other one... I don't know the name of the plant though.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
what would be some good plants for a 10gallon? what would be a good background plant? i have this really  nice piece of driftwood (look at the upper left toolbar..it's random, so refresh until you see it).

you can find my specs under 'mytanks'.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I think with your lighting and CO2, any of the stem plants would work in the background of your tank. Then if they got too tall, you could pinch them off and replant them, or throw away the bottom and replant the top.  Water thyme, water hyssop,Hygrophila Difformis (water wisteria. I really like thisone) are all examples of those.

You'll have to let us see a picture when you are done!

Jan

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
ok... with 1.8 watts/gallon, i'd stay away from any deep red plants like the rotalla macandra (including heternanthera zosterifolia and glosso.).. but you MAY be able to grow alternanthera... if you can get it cheap, then its worth a shot.. but if its expensive, then I wouldn't take the dive.

Keep in mind that the underside and tops of the alternanthera may not be as rich of a red/violet as it can be.

some lilaeopsis MAY also work as a foreground... but I can't guarantee it.

If a low maintenance tank is what you're after, you don't have to downgrade the wpg... instead, carefully choose your plants.... like lots of foreground plants with one or two background plants on one corner.. then all you'd need is to trim those two plants.
Be sure to check the Tropica website for the plant requirements as well...