10 Gallon Nano Tank

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I was thinking of getting maybe 1 or 2 clown fish, I have a 46 freshwater for a while, and i was thinking of turning a 10 into a nano salwater... I have a few questions.

In the 10 now i have a small 50 watt heater, and a penguine 170 biowheel as a filter. If I were to just get some sand and some live rock what else would I need (like filters, and other stuff needed for a nano 10 gallon) In the future I will set up maybe around a 150-200 gallon salt water but I wanna try a small 10 gallon one.

I know in the future when I do the bigger salt water it will need things such as a protein skimmer, possible sump, these are not needed in nanos right.

Thanks in Advance

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
For a nano tank, just some live rock, some sand, and circulation is all you need. For a 10 gallon tank, a skimmer isn't really needed if you do some water changes.
For now, you probably won't need an RO/DI unit unless you are serious about keeping a larger tank in the future. YOu can probably find some cheap and decent units on Ebay.
If it's a fish only system, I just used the bottled water that they sell for 25 cents/gallon at the machine near supermarkets.
If you plan to get into reefs, an RO/DI unit would be great to have.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Open up the search date to all posts andread through what other people have tried to setup for a 10. Be aware that a 10 will require near daily attention and monitoring

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its a lot of work...really, you would be better off spending a few more dollars and getting something larger (55?)

it is very very hard to control water quality in such a small system and the fish you can keep will be limited

but, as wayne mentioned, there are a lot of people who seem to start out that way (I started with a 20 myself for similar reasons) so if you check out some of the older posts you should get an idea of what is involved

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
I have never kept a saltwater tank, but I have done some research on clownfish. Clownfish are territorial with each other so 2 in a 10 gallon will definitly not work. And most people wouldn't even suggest putting 1 in that small of a tank, they like more space than a 10 gallon provides.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets see...a 10 gallon tank is quite easy to maintain. I had one with a clown and a few inverts. I had 3 pieces of live rock, a HOB whisper 1 and no skimmer. Water change every week and I was set. For a beginner a 10 gallon is not recommended, but if you are determined, keep these points in mind. 1-2 fish for the tank. Make sure there max length does not exceed 3 inches. (Clownfish with mild temperatments can be kept as pairs in smallt tanks, eg. Perculas, ocellaris, skunks, and false skunks). Live rock is necessary for a tank this small. A live sand bed would also be a good idea. A large HOB filter for water movement and extra filtration is a good idea...protein skimmer highly recommended. There you have it. Pretty simple...but a little self control is needed.