10 Gallon Betta Tank

Vipex23

Large Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
Well here is my 10 gallon Betta tank. I tried to give it a Western theme with a branch/volcano thingy (what do you think it looks like?) and few trees. That tube leads to an airstone that's inside the top opening of the volcano that I sometimes put on. I don't leave it on all the time because I notice he sometimes has trouble swimming because of it (he gets pushed around by the current), plus the sound of the air pump annoys me while I try to sleep. :D

I'd like to add a few more fish but there are 2 problems. (1) I tried to add 2 mollies a while back to the tank but Mr. Betta started flaring up and chasing them right away so I had to remove them. (2) I don't want a fish that'll outgrow the tank (obviously) and I don't want a fish too small that it'll get stuck in the many small openings of that branch/volcano thingy. I also would need a fish that won't be intimidated by Mr. Betta. I guess he's just anti-social. :D

What do you think of my tank and my little problem (if it even is a problem)?

-Sorry about the glare from the TV on the right.-

Attachments

Last edited:

Vipex23

Large Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
Here's the Betta that owns the tank. He really likes this new setup. Before it looked like this it was completely bland; had nothing in it but ugly gravel and a fake plant. Now everything in there is new, the gravel was completely changed, that volcano thing was added and plants were added. He now swims over to me when he sees me and has a nice sleeping space under the volcano.

Attachments

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Firstly I have got to say tht I am very impressed that you have devoted a whole 10 gal. to your betta :)
Have you thought of adding a few more plants along the back? I think that would look good :)
As for fish what do you think of cories? Or are they too small for your airstone problem?

Vipex23

Large Fish
May 26, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Knights725
That looks like a mutated Oscar. I don't know but most bettas I've kept are slim and long
Just the angle of the camera, the lighting, and well, the camera itself. (It's the still picture feature of a digital camcorder which are generally not good)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Bettas don't mix well with other fish. They have been known to kill Mollies, Guppies, Swords, Goldfish, and others. Angels wil attack him and some Tetras and other smaller fish have been known to nip at their long fins.

African dwarf frogs (not clawed) are a good match, they stay mostly at the bottom but can climb out if the tank cover has holes in it.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
I would go for some kind of botom feeder, like a corie or kuhli loach there cute little buggers!

I do like you tank set up, and I too am very impressed at your devotion to Mr. Betta!:) The only thing I would do is get it a little brighter in there... however, Mr. Betta probably likes it that way in there!

May 20, 2009
Betta lover too

Hi
I just recently put my Betta (same color as yours by the way) in a 10 gallon tank and he loves it. Two days ago I added 3 Peppered Corydoras and he could care less about them and they are busy guys all over the tank not just the bottom, I have lots of artificial plants and rock and castles and they are all over those things cleaning up. I have seen them cleaning the rock right next to my Betta when he is resting on it and he doesn't care. They seem to be a good choice, I read quite a bit before getting them and they seemed to be the number 1 choice of Betta owners. Any of the smaller Corydoras will do, there are lots to choose from that only grow to about 2 inches. My little guys are barely an inch right now, tiny.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Kuhlis wouldn't be a good idea in a 10 gallon as they require larger than a 30 gallon tank and they must be in groups. Loaches are also not a good idea as most species can grow very large and they also need to be in groups. Cories would be fine in a 10 gallon, and so would African Dwarf Frogs but beware, ADFs need to be individually fed live or softened pellet/freeze-dried foods with tweezers. Also, their limbs can easily be broken if the filter intake isn't cover with an aquarium-safe sponge.

Make that thrice. :D

Last edited: