10 gal

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the best thing to do is go to the library/bookstore and get some good books. I would read Fenner's consciencious marine aquarist, there is also a recent book which i have not read but have heard is very good (cant recall the name, sorry...someone will)...also, remember that a small SW tank is much harder than a small FW...I would personally say you should decide beforehand where you want this tank to go before you get too involved...will this be fish only? fish only with inverts? all out reef?

after you decide what you want to do, find out what you need equipment wise...filtration and lighting needs vary greatly as you move through the spectrum of inhabitants...if you can give us some more info on where exactly this tank will be going many people will chime in with suggestions on equipment, etc

nano-reef is a great resource, for sure read the articles...personally the folks over there are a bit bristley for my taste but they do have good info if you want to get on the BB. I believe, however, between books and people here you can find all the information you will need on most subjects. The most I do on nano-reef anymore is search the posts for a subject

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
4-5 fish in a ten gallon is not feasable, you are looking at 1-2 fish more realistically I would say...if you want a FO (fish only) system I would still reccomend using live rock as your primary means of filtration though a skimmer is probably not necessary i would consider a hob skimmer as well (AquaC remora is good as is the cpr bakpak. Could use a hob or canister filter to supplement the live rock. no lighting is needed, just whatever you want to see your fish. setting up a FO SW system is a lot like setting up a FW system...I personally have never done a FO but i know a few people here have so perhaps they can give you more imput.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Sorry man, 4-5 fish is to many. The maximum you can have in a 10 gallon nano is maybe 2 small fish. Even that will be a large strain on the bio-load. RESEARCH before you do anything. A 10 gallon tank is a little small to start with, but it can work if you plan well. Find a LFS that has a wide variety of products and live stock, and people that are willing to help you plan.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon FReshwater Planted Aquarium