1 year in the making!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Well, its been 1 year since I obtained my 15 gallon, so I thought I would just post a timeline of the past year. First I'll post the first (and worst) stages of it's life. In the first pictures is right after set up, and it contaians 1 male platy ( I think). Then the next one is with a few more plants and an added dwarf gourami. Then comes the substrate change to sand. The stocking is 1 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, an oto, and a few neons. Then the next picture is with stocking of neons, oto, and black skirt tetras. Nest post will be recent pictures!

Attachments

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
First picture is a full tank picture, then the next 2 are just pictures of the endlers and platys. Third one is an attemped picture of the corys (fast little buggers). Then a picture of a female RCS, and finally my oto. As you can see, it has changed drasticly in the past year, and I'm finally happy with how it looks! I'm really happy with it now, does anyone have any questions or recomendations? Thanks!

Attachments

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Two questions. What substrate are you using (color and type) ? Is the red shrimp like critter in one of the pictures what is known as a cherry shrimp (mentioned in several posts on this site and new to me)?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Wow, great transition! It is so lush. Your plants look super healthy - what CO2/lighting/ferts do you use?
Thanks! Actually its a really low tech tank, I have about 1.9 WPG (flourescent), DIY CO2, and usually no ferts, but every few weeks I use this generic aquarium plant fertalizer.I'm really surprised the ludwidgia is red in these conditions!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Hello; Two questions. What substrate are you using (color and type) ? Is the red shrimp like critter in one of the pictures what is known as a cherry shrimp (mentioned in several posts on this site and new to me)?
I just use plain old aquarium gravel, and it is black gravel, my plants seem to be fine with it.

Yes, that is a Red Cherry Shrimp. The females get really bright red, but the males generally stay clear with red speckles. They are probably one of the easiest shrimp to keep as well! Another bonus? They eat algea and clean the heck out of my plants!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
epic livestock, including plants. makes the tank look very colorful! I give it a 10/10 especially since youre happy w/ it :)
Thanks!!! I love it, and cant wait for my red cherrys and endlers to start reproducing! Just today I noticed something I've never seen before, by java fern was pearling! In the full year since I've had it, it has never done that before!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Oh yes, and one question. Has anyone had experience with subwassertang before? I have a few peices spread around the tank and only one seems to be growing. Does anyone know what conditions they prefer?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
well you have tons of other plants including stems which are very fast growers. plant compete against each other too, so youll notice the most fit plants will always be growing and the other might be waiting for their chance or growing slowly.