1 Male betta + male guppies and platies

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I got a 20gH tank from the friend who gave me the 40gL as a temporary home for the platies, male guppies, otos, pleco and angelfish that were temporarily in a 10gal and seriously overcrowding it. After transferring everyone (yes, I'm doing a fish-in cycle because I really needed to alleviate the overcrowding in that tank...I am using the established Penguin 170 filter from the 46gal, plus gravel, plants and water from the 46gal, so that should help it cycle much faster), I came to the decision that I *really* like that tank, and I like where it is. Because of it's size, the only place I had to put it was on the dresser in my son's room. So, I think I've come to the conclusion that my son's five platies and the four male guppies are going to go in the 20gH once the 40gL is settled and cycled. Now to my question...my son has a VERY laid-back male betta named Gordon. I am tempted to think that Gordon is a hermaphrodite because I put him in the same tank as Alec, my little CT male, as "competition" when I was trying to breed Alec and Alice (don't worry, Gordon and Alec were separated and couldn't get at each other, they could just see each other) and Gordon COMPLETELY ignored Alec and Alice. I've heard of problems in the past with male bettas and guppies, with the betta fin-nipping the guppies, but since Gordon is so laid-back, I honestly don't think it'd be an issue. I've also heard (and somewhat experienced) that platies can nip a male betta's fins, but when I experienced it, it was when I put Garrett, a VERY fiesty VT male, in with the platies and a female betta (long story, he was only in there for an hour, if that). So, what are you opinions on putting Gordon in with the platies and guppies? I personally think he'd be okay because of how laid-back he is, but I would like other people's take on it. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
If you are confident that it would be okay, I'd maybe set him in an aerated bowl next to the tank for a little while, and then place him in a bag or another sort of container inside the 20 gallon to see if he is okay with his new friends. And if he is okay, then add him to the tank. Good luck! Love to hear how it works out!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
His little tank is next to the big tank right now, but I'm not sure how much he can see. I seriously hate his tank! Anyway, I like your suggestion of putting him in his own little tank inside the big tank (I think I know something I can rig, actually! :D). Thanks, littletank.

This is the big tank with his little globe tank next to it:

And this is the evil tank he's in now (there is absolutely NO way to heat this stupid thing!):

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
It's going to get redone with decorations and live plants once I can afford it (a little bit at a time). This set up is just temporary until I get the 40gL cycled and everyone settled there...especially considering the 40gL is actually a school project now (I go to a VERY liberal arts college...heavy on the liberal, light on the arts ;) ). I might even do sand in the 20gH if I like it in the 40gL.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
My LFSs are pretty good about that kind of thing. Well, one of them is. The other one says they'll check on prices and availability and they'll call you when they find out, but then they don't call. Although, the one that's bad about calling back carries an interesting variety of fish that is quite different than the chain stores, so that's good.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I know, when you walk in you expect to see thousands of tanks but really he just keeps a normal amount for a fish store (some big community tanks)
it's an awesome place, really. Ever come to moncton I advise you to go see it!