1/2 barrel pond

Pugwinkle

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone here thinks about the 1/2 barrel ponds. I would love to set one up with a few plants and two Sarassa's. I am in Ontario. We do have some pretty warm days in the summer. I will of course be bringing the fish inside for the Winter. I just want to make sure the fish wouldn't end up cooking in a small pond such as this.

I would appreciate any and all advice.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
As long as you keep the pond isn't exposed to too much direct sunlight and the fish are decent sized the temperature change shouldn't matter that much. How many gallons to you think it will be? The more water, the harder it is to change the temperature.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't recommend any kind of goldfish in that size pond. You would be better off going for livebearers (for the summer only). Whatever kind of fish you decide, make sure you have a pump or a small fountain to keep the water moving.

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
dont use comets they get big and need a lot of water to swim. maybe one small fantail .get a small pump with a sponge filter( a 60 gal/hour will be about $25). for plants i would get one lotus some parrots feather a cup full of azolla. if you want to get fancy put some corkscrew rush and grow it around the lotus.if you go with a lotus get one established they dont like to be crowed when young.