What fish can live in a 1 gallon tank?

Feb 16, 2004
Visit site
Hello,
I have a 1 gallon tank. I don't want to risk killing a fish because the tank is too small, so can anybody suggest a type of fish that can survive in this tank?
Thanks very much!:cool:

well, in a 1 gallon, i put guppy fry, yes it sounds quite cruel, but when you have other livebearers that have more fry, anything works! i also just put some native snails and a few plant leaves in there to see if i get anything good. if you had a undergravel filter, you could put 2 endlers in there, has to be stocked with plants though. i've seen this set up in action! but i still wouldnt recommended. if i had a spare, i'd just use it as an algae collecter...

Hazzamaya

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Wow, extremely small tank....

hehe, there is actually no real point in having any animals of sorts in a 1gallon tank at all, if you insist on having a 1 gallon tank i would reccomend putting in just plants and MAYBE a ghost shrimp or amano shrimp of sorts. If not i would reccomend moving to a bigger tank of 2.5 - 5gallons because 1 gallon is extremely small and not worth doing realy unless you aim for everything in it to look oversized, lol, this is my first time on this place in Ages....

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
1 gallon is just fine for a couple of small fish or a betta. They are a pain to clean, you have to clean them more often than a bigger tank, they're harder to maintain good water chemistry and temperature and you can't do a WHOLE lot with them...BUT assuming you take care of it; a 1G tank can be quite fun and cute.

Some fish stay SO SMALL that you dont want to put them in a larger tank because then you can't enjoy them. What were those teeny fish that Gomer got? Even my ember tetras get 'lost' in my 10G tank...although I dont think I would put them in a 1, I would certainly have no qualm moving them to a 3 or a 5.

Oh, and like eyrie mentioned...it works great as a holding tank for tiny fry. Probably wouldn't work as a growout tank...but to keep them until they're a few weeks old. Its easier for them to find food in a smaller area.

PURP

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2016
I love adf’s, they are the reason I joined the slippery slope of aquarium ownership. :)

I would not put even one in a 1g tank. I’ve had two in a 5g tank before and they produce so much poop that I had to monitor their health constantly and clean the tank daily to keep them them healthy. They can die very quickly and suddenly, even if you are vigilant. I moved them to a 30g tank, added a few more, added a few fish, and now it’s much less maintenance to keep everyone happy.

I know that the pet stores sell them as being able to be simply added to a community tank, but their proper care is much more complicated. I would always recommend that the water chemistry be set for their needs, and then add fish who are suited with to it.

P.S. They are very much social creatures, and I believe that having one by himself is somewhat cruel.