I want one...

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
lol it's a quad rail for my ar15. I'm setting it up for coyote hunting. got a red dot sight on it now but will have a scope for 200 yards as well and backup iron sights, and i'm wanting the long quad rail to mount a bipod on it as far forward as possible for as stable of a platform as possible. I'm not setting it up as a tactical weapon with flashlights and all that. no need for them.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
aren't coyotes normally more active in the dark? you got goggles or something since you wont be using a flashlight? i know flashlights might spook them...

but dang isn't an ar15 a bit overkill lol!?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You actually go out and hunt coyotes? You can't eat them so I would think it was a waste of time. I hear them every night - one of our dogs howls with them - but I only see them occasionally during the day. When people first move out here, they are convinced they're a threat and get armed and ready, but after 35 years I have yet to hear that any one killed one. It always amazes me, too, because people tend to dump unwanted cats out here and they seem to thrive- I see the same cats for years. The eagles seem to be the bigger threat - they wiped out the neighbors trout pond and were actually seen taking ducks.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
OC is correct - I believe they have more problems with coyotes and even cougars and bears in towns once the critters find out food is easier to get. We have noticed since Olympia is spreading farther West, the cougars are showing up in populated areas and Seattle is also having frequent encounters with black bears. On the other side of the coin, let one of these animals get into trouble and there are always people to help. A year or so ago there was a medium size coyote pup that got its head stuck in a mayo jar in the Seattle area. For several days it was the headline on the local news - everyone was asking, "Have they found it yet?" There were several sightings, but no one was able to catch it. It took about a week and by that time it was pretty dehydrated and a couple of guys managed to get it and extract it from the jar. Of course the whole thing made the news that day about the rescue and people in the area were putting food out hoping it would survive!

Feb 27, 2009
Regarding the coyote, animal control set out traps and euthanized a lot of them after that. Sad really. More moved in to fill the void left by those removed, so it didn't really solve anything.

The people that lost their dog kept it outside all of the time, and fed it from an 'autofeeder.' I'm sure the local wildlife found the free dog kibble and it attracted them to the yard. I love dogs, and I think a domesticated animal like a dog should have more human contact than that. It should not be left outside to fend for itself like that (especially a small 'lap dog' type of dog). To me, the people were to blame, not the coyote.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I have a feeling this will be my Red Rider bb gun this Christmas.

seneye Reef - compact water test device with light-meter - seneye
Beats coal and onions in your stocking.:(

*celebrate My condolences to your marine addiction.

In regards to the OT coyote discussion, yeah, they're everywhere now. Even in the horrible industrial area of Niagara Falls NY where I work. I keep seeing them around our plant, scrounging for rodents and whatnot. Man are they UGLY buggers.

A neighboring paperboard/cardboard plant just expanded big time and have these massive stockpiles of bailed used paper. Apparently rodents nest in there, thus the coyotes.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Gee the coyotes I have seen here are really beautiful animals. Without the coyotes we would probably be overrun with rodents and rabbits. (I forgot, are rabbits consider rodents?)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes rabbits are rodents, just look at those front teeth!
i agree with OC a lap dog has no place living outside. a guard dog is meant to live out in the yard (something like a Shepard or doberman, or a vicious mutt mix lol )
sorry FishDad this has turned into a hunting thread :p

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Beats coal and onions in your stocking.:(

*celebrate My condolences to your marine addiction.

In regards to the OT coyote discussion, yeah, they're everywhere now. Even in the horrible industrial area of Niagara Falls NY where I work. I keep seeing them around our plant, scrounging for rodents and whatnot. Man are they UGLY buggers.

A neighboring paperboard/cardboard plant just expanded big time and have these massive stockpiles of bailed used paper. Apparently rodents nest in there, thus the coyotes.
Thanks buddy, fish tanks and automated technology are a dangerous combination.

BTW we have coyotes here too in Cleveland, nasty feral looking things. My understanding is that the ones that we have are offspring from coyote and household dogs.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
the ar15 is a perfect platform. i'm shooting 223 caliber rounds. they are no bigger then a small 22 round for rabbit and squirrels. the difference is they are in a high power rifle casing and fly SUPER fast. my ar15 can also shoot the 5.56mm nato round our military uses. pretty much an identical round just with more powder behind it. and we get them around our house in the middle of the day. they had a good year with the drought. lots of fawn kill from the deer. last winter between my dad and i we shot 23 out the kitchen window and my neighbor shot 17. they been really realy thick the past few years. also we sell the hides thyra. we give the whole carcas to the rat wagon and they give us around 35 bucks depending on condition of the pelt. not sure what they do with the meat. and fishdad we are gettign a few of those out here too. we call them coy dogs. one of the farmers out here said he saw one last year that looked like it had chow in it. had to go close to 100 pounds. thats insane considering average around here is under 50.

Don't get me wrong. i think there is a place for everything in nature. but i believe in population control. I'm not out there to totally wipe them out. just like i would love to see wolves reintroduced here. this is part of their natural range. think it would be cool as hell to see them here. I don't see coyotes as a pest in proper populations.